Lawn Care Forum banner
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I can't imagine ever downsizing trailers. I started in 1999 with a 12' single axle being pulled by a 1990 Ford Ranger. Then went to a 16' tandem axle with a 2001 F-150. Then later an 18' tandem and now these days, the 20' is my go-to trailer. Somewhere in there, I bought my first F-250 and I've never gotten a truck any smaller.

The weight isn't much more than a 16' or 18' trailer and the extra room is always a benefit. Far more positives than negatives.

I can't recall if it was mentioned. What truck are you using?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I can't imagine ever downsizing trailers. I started in 1999 with a 12' single axle being pulled by a 1990 Ford Ranger. Then went to a 16' tandem axle with a 2001 F-150. Then later an 18' tandem and now these days, the 20' is my go-to trailer. Somewhere in there, I bought my first F-250 and I've never gotten a truck any smaller.

The weight isn't much more than a 16' or 18' trailer and the extra room is always a benefit. Far more positives than negatives.

I can't recall if it was mentioned. What truck are you using?
2007 Toyota Tundra. Not a 3/4 ton but it hauls heavy weight really well and I don't want to get anything besides a Toyota. My current setup with a 16ft trailer and two mowers is nothing for it

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi there, recently joined Lawnsite, and am wondering if a 20 or 22ft trailer is too big for daily mowing setup? Currently run a 16ft but looking to upsize to haul three mowers next year. Thanks in advance!
I've been thinking about the same thing myself. I have a 16' and thinking about going with an 18' or 20' to add another mower to the trailer. We pretty much do commercial only and parking isn't much of an issue at any of our accounts. Obviously driving around with a larger trailer makes it more difficult, parking wise too, gas mileage will be worse because of the heavier load, and the price jumps dramatically once you go past 16'. I'm kinda leaning toward just staying with the 16' and being smarter with which machines we put on the trailer and how we load it. A lot can be done with a 16 footer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I've been thinking about the same thing myself. I have a 16' and thinking about going with an 18' or 20' to add another mower to the trailer. We pretty much do commercial only and parking isn't much of an issue at any of our accounts. Obviously driving around with a larger trailer makes it more difficult, parking wise too, gas mileage will be worse because of the heavier load, and the price jumps dramatically once you go past 16'. I'm kinda leaning toward just staying with the 16' and being smarter with which machines we put on the trailer and how we load it. A lot can be done with a 16 footer.
Besides hauling more mowers on the trailer, I would like to have a bigger trailer for leaf season so we can haul more leaves away at a time plus still have room for two mowers. I'm thinking maybe only use the bigger trailer for cleanups and such and maybe on certain days when you absolutely need the capacity?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
As small as possible while still being able to have organized tools. 16 is a good size. 18 isn’t bad. Over 20 you need a skilled driver and parking becomes a problem.

I owned a 20 and a 24 in the past. Every now and then I had a chance to use a 12 foot open that my father owned when he went out of town. It was at that time that I realized, when I was given the choice of a 20 v12 - I would choose the 12 all the time. There isn’t many reasons to be over 18 feet.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
So update to the thread, yesterday I bought a 8x20 7k capacity landscape trailer. Supposedly it only weighs 1500lbs. Got it for $2400. It has an expanded mesh floor that I'm going to reinforce with some more 5'' steel tube channel before I start using it. I'm also going to extend the rear gate to 5ft and add a 5x6 side gate on the front. I now have a 52'' Scag Pro V and a 52'' Scag V Ride 1, in addition to the 52'' and 60'' turf tracers. All the mowers can fit on the trailer at once if need be. I'll get some pics in the next few days. Hope y'all have had a great 4th of July!

·
Registered
784 Posts
It has an expanded mesh floor that I'm going to reinforce with some more 5'' steel tube channel before I start using it. I'm also going to extend the rear gate to 5ft and add a 5x6 side gate on the front.
You are going to reinforce it with which? Box tube or channel? It would be one or the other.

You will hate a 5’ tailgate unless you bi-fold it. The wind drag is atrocious. Take my word for it.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts