1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

23 HP KAW (fuel problem)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by garyslawn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

mower ran (ruff) I moved it and welded on the engine hydro cooler. Will not start now unless I put gas down from air filter. Could I have hurt (by welding) the fuel shut off solonid? The fuel pump works, needle & seat are open. Float is free. Thanks Gary

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

So it was running ruff before you started welding ?

When you put fuel into the carb does it continue to run ? And still ruff ?

Did you check the carb main jet while checking the float ?

It's not likely that anything happened to the fuel cut-off solenoid, But I have seen coils blown and heard of batteries doing so from welding on a unit. ALWAYS disconnect BOTH battery cables before welding on anything.

3. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

I think it ran ruff because it is cold and only ran a min. I took the carb apart, cleaned jets, (It was clean) , air goes threw all, needle, seat & float aree are fine. I took the fuel soloniod off and put 12 volts to it . Nothing happned. Should it move out when voltage is applied??? Thank You for Your Help. Gary

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It should have pulled in when you put voltage to it.

If the answer to this is no, Snip the tip off the solenoid with wire cutters then re-install it. If it now runs purchase a new solenoid.

5. garyslawn

from NE Ohio

Changed Fuel Sol. Runs Great!!! Thanks 4 Your Help Restrorob

6. gooch42

gooch42 LawnSite Member

I have a 23 hp in my lesco had a similar problem. My fuel pump worked fined But changed anyway and that was the problem.