23 hp Kawasaki flooding

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blythefieldacreslawncare, Apr 7, 2015.

1. blythefieldacreslawncare

blythefieldacreslawncare LawnSite Member

Hi guys I have a turf tracer with a 23hp Kawasaki engine. Today it was running fine all day then suddenly when It was idling, it started smoking (black smoke) then quit. I tried to start it and it tried to fire but then it started spitting gas out the exhaust. I shut off the fuel and tried again and it fired up, then turned on the fuel again. It still starts but starts hard and spits fuel and black smoke I think it is a flooding issue. What do you guys think could be the problem?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That is not a flooding issue. I believe that is a internal issue. Take your valve covers off and check the push rods aren't bent. A valve could be siezed causing gas not to be burnt thus going straight out the exhaust.

3. OP
    OP
    blythefieldacreslawncare

But wouldn't that make one cylinder stop working completely? It runs good once I get it started. And no engine noises
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

You haven't noticed a lack in power?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one reason why fuel is coming out the exhaust. Your intake valve is staying closed thus forcing the fuel out the exhaust valve thus not being burnt.

6. OP
    OP
    blythefieldacreslawncare

No lack in power at all. I'll pull the covers in the morning and have a look
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like your carburetor float is stuck or sticking, when fuel fills the bowl the float isn't shutting off the flow and so it keeps coming through and then goes in to the engine... The float works much like it does in a toilet tank, after the bowl fills with liquid the float is supposed to shut off the flow but when it sticks or fails to rise to the top it just keeps feeding fuel to the engine...
    After you turned it off to let it sit you didn't leave the fuel turned on, did you?
    Because if you did, it's likely all sorts of hydro-locked now.

If you kept the fuel turned off, good for you.
    The easy solution, either a new carburetor or try cleaning the old one's float bowl mechanism real good.
    Small chance it may need an oil change.

If you left the fuel on and it sat for some time...
    Good chance your engine's crankcase is full of fuel, requiring an oil change.
    You'll also need to pull spark plug(s) to get the cylinders dried out.
    The rest of the solution lies along the same carburetor cleaning or replacement lines as above.

How to tell if the engine needs an oil change after such an incident:
    Pull the dipstick and take a whiff of the oil on there, sometimes spreading the oil between one's fingers can be helpful.
    If your nose detects a scent of fuel (or if the smell of fuel is strong) then the oil most likely needs changing.

8. OP
    OP
    blythefieldacreslawncare

Thanks! I cleaned the carb out good and yes I smelled gas like crazy in the oil and changed that. My mower is working fine now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. conc2steel

conc2steel LawnSite Member

Thanks, same exact problem on a used machine I just purchased. I have the same symptoms and hope that this fix works for me too.

10. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Senior Member

It's the carb. Ask me how I know. ;)

Be sure and check your crankcase for gas.

Skag Engine.jpg