1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

23 hp kohler big enough?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MAC LLC, Mar 13, 2008.

1. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone had experiance with a 23 hp kohler on a lazer z hp with 52'' ultracut deck.

Would this be enough horsepower for that machine and running an ultravac system or should i pay $500 more for the 27hp kohler on the same machine

I am from the northeast but do not have too many hills to worry about.

2. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Get the extra power!

3. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go for the 27hp, but the 23 should be fine.

4. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I would think on a 52 you should be ok with the 23. Extra power never hurts with a bagging unit like the ultra vac, but like i said i think a 23 on a 52 should be ok.

Josh

5. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

I want the extra power but i do not know if i can justify $500 for 4 extra horses but over the long haul the engine would have less stress from not being worked as hard. Will the 27 hp burn a lot more fuel than the 23?

6. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i have this setup... 23 hp on a 52 exmark with an ultravac.... plenty of power... dont worry.

7. joshco84

not a lot more, maybe another gallon a day. I have exmark 60's with both, and didnt notice a big diffrence.

8. joshco84

have run, sorry, i dont have both.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

My Exmark has a 19 with the 48" deck and works find the ultra-vac. My deere has the 23 and does fine with year round mulching in thick grass/leaves. However, I don't know how your grass compares to mine when bagging. Have you demoed one yet? You will probably be fine with the 23 but if you can afford the 27 I say go for it, no such thing as to much power.

10. MAC LLC

MAC LLC LawnSite Member

thanks for all the help guys, i have an older lazer with 25 hp kohler and 52 deck which i think has enough power, but it sounds like the 23 will do the job. I am still somewhat skeptical on the kohler vs. kawi but there i cannot get the ultracut deck with a kawi motor