23 HP Kohler......Hard to Start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SouthernCutter, Jan 24, 2009.

1. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

I bought a exmark last night with a Kohler 23 HP on it. When i went to pick it up yesterday he must have let it warm up before i got there becuase when i go to start it when its cold it will crank for almost 35-40 seconds and then it starts. Once you turn it off after warming up, it will start after 3-4 seconds of cranking.

Maybe plugs? i have no idea other than that. any input would be great. thanks!

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

That's right, do the easy stuff first, replace plugs.

If you can access it easily make sure the choke is fully closing, even if it's a few degrees off full closure it can cause cold starting problems.

Good luck, Phil:ukflag:

3. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Silver Member

Check the choke first. Plugs don't care what temperature it is.

4. SouthernCutter

yea, but when you sit and crank somethin for 40 seconds, that is not good for the plugs....i do know that.

5. SouthernCutter

We used to have a Kohler generator on our boat and it never started good in the cold. is it just Kohler's dont start well in the cold compared to a kawasaki? i changed my fuel filter and my plugs this mornin and it didnt help any. but it is still good to have that done.

6. Phil G

See below........

7. Phil G

And the choke? did yer check that?:nono: :)

If you're feeling adventurous you could check the float level. Might be set just a tad too high.

Good luck, Phil

8. RonAyersMotorsports

RonAyersMotorsports LawnSite Senior Member

I doubt his float is the problem. Check the choke and see if it is shutting completey off when engaged. If it is see if you can get us a Compression check.

9. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

I've never scene a Kawi start good in the cold either.

10. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

Check the choke and make sure it closes completely when you pull it, and make sure that the linkage is connected right too. The compression might also be bad, but i bet its the choke.