1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

23hp enough for 60"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, May 29, 2004.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys. I demoed a 23hp Kohler equipped 60" Lazer yesterday. It seemed to do pretty well, even in thick, fairly tall grass. Do any of you have any opinions on a 60" with this engine? I was afraid it wouldn't have enough hp, but now I'm not so sure. Any opinions will be appreciated.

Vic

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Vic - I have a 23 Kawasaki on a 52" Sentar and there are times when I wished it was stronger. Personally I would never buy a 60" machine with a 23hp engine on it. I have an XT2800-60 Dixie and I really like that 27hp (Kohler) fuel injected engine a lot.

3. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

im no hp expert but i havea a 60 inch lazer 23 hp and im very pleased.seems to have plenty of power and cuts great. hope this helps you but i think you will be well pleased with the 23.

4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I've got 25 on my 54 WB/sulky, and could use more, at times, too.

5. GNRL

GNRL LawnSite Member
    from Wi

I have a Lazer z hp 52" 23hp and its underpowered

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

One of my neighors just got a used a 60" ultra cut deck 23 hp from a guy, because he said was under powered. He didn't care, it was better than his toro timecutter. He cuts his lawn every 4 days so it really doesn't matter about tall grass. He got it for $6000 and it only has 115 hours.

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I like the water cooled 23 hp Kawasaki better. I've had mine for 4 yrs no problems. But in heavy wet grass you just adapt to the conditions higher lift blades etc. Go over twice anyway.

8. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i've got one a 03' 23hp lazer z 60"
    Every day i wish i would have bought
    a 27hp and can't wait to trade
    i will have the lazer z xp 27hp diesel

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just thinking that today with one of my walkbehinds that I wish it had some more horsepower to it. It's tempting me to go out and buy a larger HP stick it on there

10. natureboy

natureboy LawnSite Member

I got a liquid cooled 23hp Kohler on my 61" Bobcat ztr....and I love it.
    Cut through a dandelion field a foot high with ease.