1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

23hp kawasaki

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVELAWN, Aug 6, 2005.

1. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I have a few W.S. with the 23hp Kawi. I follow the maintenance schedule the manual gives, with oil changes etc. Just curious how many hours I should expect to get out of the motor?

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have about 500 hrs, and it doesn't use any oil to speak of so far. I've heard you can get 3000hrs out of it though I think the mean would be somewhere around 25-2800. (MY 2 Cents)

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

W.S.?????? I have a 23 Kawi on my new Toro. It has only 15 hours on it, so I can't help you. I do hope to get 600-800 hours before any problems arise.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I change oil and filter at 42-48 hours on all my kawi motors. My newest 23 kawi now has 600 hours and runs like the day it was new. I consider it just now getting broke in. I want to see around 3000 hours on this motor.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Run synthetic oils if you want longer engine life. Its a proven fact that they help and the cost diff. is nothing compared to a new engine. Plus I just like the peace of mind knowing that I have that little extra protection.

6. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think you will have a problem with the engine until at least 3000 hrs. Change the oil,keep the cylinder air fins clean and you shouldn't have any problems for a long time.

7. ITL

ITL LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

What viscosity, synthetic/non-synthetic, and brand oil are you guys running in the air cooled V-twin Kawasaki engines. I have a 10 hours on my 23 V-twin and am planning to use Mobil One 10W-30 with 40 hour change intervals. Do those running 10W-30 have oil consumption issues as the engine manual states over using 30 weight?

Thanks Wayne

8. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

I have heard and read (though I can't remember where) that you might/will see an increase in oil consumption with multi viscosity oils. I ran syn kawi oil in mine (It extended the engine warranty at the time) and it was straight 30 weight. I like your question though...I like th idea of going down to walmart and getting Mobil one for $18-$19/gallon.

9. HighGrass

from Z5 MA

Multi viscosity OK?

10. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I'll second that, W.S.???