1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

24 hp Honda engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dualsmows, May 8, 2007.

1. dualsmows

dualsmows LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new "Z" mower w/ the 24 hp Honda engine... Can anyone tell me about these engines...likes and dislikes.

Thank for the help!

2. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

I've mowed with a Super Z with the 24 Honda, I didn't like it. The engine would bog down every time I tried to take off, even without the bladed engaged. I know I am a big guy (300 lbs) but no other machine does that. Not even other Super Z's with different engines. I spoke with the local Hustler dealer, he tells me he will special order a machine with a Honda for a homeowner if they insist but he doesn't carry any stock of machines with that engine. He also told me he would not sell that engine to a commercial cutter. Just my thoughts.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

It is also my understanding honda replaced a bunch of 24 horse honda's recently in hustlers because or thrown rods around 500 hours. I've got an 18 horse honda on my walk behind, great mower, but in a larger hp I'm a liquid-cooled kawasaki or diesel fan myself.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 24 Honda on a dixie chopper with about 1100 hours. Ive been very happy with this engine.