Lawn Care Forum banner

24v LED replacements

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  steveparrott 
#1 ·
Has anyone found and used any LED replacements that will work with the Unique Lighting 24 volt system?

#2 ·
Seems to me that they were marketing that 24 V system with a notion that they would sell a lot in Europe and elsewhere where 240 V systems are the norm.

Wasn't there a guy from Russia that was on here and using them a lot?

#4 ·
i beleive unique has released their own line of 24V leds
I was just at an open house today at Wolf Creek in Columbus today.
Six companies showing their LEDs there: Unique, Hadco, Illumicare, Kichler, and Hinkley.

I picked up some literature from Unique on their Flex series LED. No mention of 24v option in the brochure.

#6 ·
What a total debacle that 24v thing was. I was installing mostly Unique systems at the time they came out. And I was getting a lot of pressure from my Unique Rep. to switch over to installing those 24v systems. Don't get me wrong, I understand the benefits. But I was never convinced that was a good way to go or that the industry was going to ever go that direction. I was always convinced the entire industry was going to go LED, even though Unique was fighting that and trying to go another direction. I admire them for being innovators. But I just think they headed in the absolute wrong direction with this one. Glad I never got on board with it.

#8 ·
There is now 24v LED replacements for everything with the exception of the T3. I really wish I had not drank the 24v Unique kool-aid. It was only 1 job but has been frustrating when trying to add other fixture types.
You can add any fixture you want to the 24 volt system. The fixture makes no difference as long as the lamp is 24v.

#9 ·
Never nice to say, but.... I told you so! :) I remember running into Nate at Lightfair the year before I launched my line of LED MR16 and Miniature lamps, around the same time that he started with the whole 24V thing... He stood there amongst all of the LED lighting displays and boldly announced to all who would listen that LED wasn't going to work, and wasn't going to go anywhere. I argued with him vehemently and told him why I thought that 24V was the wrong way to go (industry standardization rather than fragmentation). It was an interesting exchange to say the least.

While you might find some 24V LED lamps, I would be very careful about the quality of them and their suitability for use in outdoor, enclosed fixtures. Remember that you cannot just drop any LED lamp into a landscape lighting fixture and expect it to work properly.

#10 ·
James,

Has Unique scrubbed the Intellimatic? I haven't really paid any attention other than that I see some dusty 24volt transformer and fixture boxes at my local dist.

Also to Eastcoast- James makes a good point about choosing a lamp rated for outdoor use. I simply stated that just about any 24 volt lamp will work in a 24 volt system, however he is correct that the majority of the LED's out there are not intended for outdoor use. Will they work- sure (but for how long- that's anyone's guess) Personally, I would not chance it. Swap out the transformer to a 12-15 volt unit and the whole world of good LED's for outdoor lighting will be open to you.

#12 ·
Some of you may know that we developed a perimeter fence lighting system powered with a 24-volt transformer. Also, all our LED fixtures have a voltage range of 10V to 24V.

We went with 24V for the perimeter system because of the greatly increased number of fixtures you can power along a single line. With that system, you can install (65) 7W fixtures along a 1,300 ft. fence on a single #10/2 wire (T-Method).

These types of numbers also apply to residential projects. When you can primarily use daisy chains on large systems, the savings in wire and labor is significant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.