1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

25 kawasaki. bogs out over bumps

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by The Green Barber, Jun 22, 2008.

1. The Green Barber

The Green Barber LawnSite Member

Hello, I have a 2003, Gravely 260z with a 25hp Kawasaki and when I mow lawns that are bumpy the engine will hesitate/ bog out like it's loosing fuel. If I mow at slow speeds it seems fine. I have read some posts about similar situations and have replaced fuel lines in tanks and the fuel filter. I even purchased and installed a electric fuel pump and still have no luck solving this issue. I removed the carburetor fuel bowl and cleaned it out with carb cleaner. I'm not sure whats going on, and I don't want to keep throwing parts at it $$$$$. Any suggestions; or if you have the solution I would be most thankful for your help.:confused:

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I assume a 280z is a rider. We dont have gravely in our part of the country. I have seen the problem you are having occure with other riders on rough ground. Are you bouncing up and down off the seat switch?

3. The Green Barber

Yes it is a rider Z-turn. I thought that may be it also but I bypassed the seat switch and it still does it.

4. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

I would say take a look at all of the safety switches and wiggle them and every thing that may come in contact with them and see if anything is loose and just sometimes hitting one of the switches
    David

5. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post the model# and spec# of your engine

6. The Green Barber

Model# 992046 and the engine is fh721v-as1

7. MowerMedic77

Well I thought that would help me but it did'nt because that spec apparently came with both an internally vented carb and an externally vented carb. So now I need to ask does the electric fuel solenoid on your carb have wires coming out of it or do the wires plug into it with a small white connector?

8. The Green Barber

wires come out

9. The Green Barber

wires come out

10. MowerMedic77

Ok then this is an externaly vented carb first thing is make sure you are running the corect air filter since you cant run an internally vented carb a/f on an externally vented carb the item # for your filter should be 11013-7024.
    The second thing I would check is the vent and vent tube running from the top of your carb the vent needs to be clear and free from obstruction also Kawi extended the length of the vent tube and the routing of the tube away from any and all cooling fan turbulence. They recommend extending it behind the engine near the electric starter and to be sure the tube runs down hill to eliminate debris buildup and also position away from hydro fan or other sources of turbulence.