1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

26,000 GVW Truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Farbio, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

What would be my best option for a 26,000 GVW truck and engine? I will use the truck to haul material and pull an 11,000 lb mini. and or track skidsteer.

I currently pull the mini and skids with a 2002 F-350 7.3. It is a great truck but I think the engine is going to explode one of these days when I pull up a steep hill.

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i am also looking for a 26k or 33k truck to do the same thing with. the new mini is going to be to much for my old dodge gasser to pull.

i have been looking into a f-750 with a allison 3000 series auto and a c-7 cat.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Get your CDL and get a truck with a 33-35,000lb gvw your going to be overloading a light duty truck with a 26,000lb gvw. If you have a 11,000lb mini I assume a 161 Kubota you want something that can pack a load.

4. BlackCloudDiesel

BlackCloudDiesel LawnSite Member

Go get yourself a nice Sterling Acterra with either a Caterpillar or Mercedes Benz diesel. Keep in mind with a 26k truck, you can only haul a 1lb trailer behind it before needing a CDL.

Dan

5. Farbio

Farbio LawnSite Member

Thanks for the respones guys. It looks like I am going to need to get a CDL this winter. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of taking the step to CDL. I assume costs such as licensing, insurance....... go way up.

Also, is there going to be a big discrepency in price betweenthe different brands of trucks in the 26,000 to 33,00lb trucks? I want a solid truck at a reasonable price.

6. Gravel Rat

If you found youself a International 7400 or a Sterling 8500 or a Pete 332 or Kenworth T-300. The cheaper option is the International and Sterling. The International has a better engine over the Mercedes usually found in the Sterlings.

If your going to a CDL you might aswell get a tandem they are just as cheap to run.

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

DT466 @ 215+hp is a solid engine too.

8. treemover

treemover LawnSite Senior Member

go with an international and 466. I have a 92 pre electronics usually around 40-42k gvw and get around 8-9 mpg. I can haul a lot more better brakes and better mileage towing than my 07 dodge cummins.

9. Gravel Rat

10. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd avoid a truck from Massachusetts. This is coming from someone that has seen a lot of trucks from there.

They have very loose weight restrictions and the trucks wear out much more quickly than trucks from other places. I see dump trailers coming out of Mass. on a regular basis that have saggy frames from all the weight put in them.