Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
All this is correct and thanks for you input back then. I remember talking when I was trying to figure out just what I had.

I keep saying tach when I meant hour meter, sorry about that. The newer Scags have the hour meter in the control panel (I think) and not in the round hole near the rear of the machine. I'm not sure when this change took place. So that is one of the things to look for when purchasing the unit. If you get the serial # off of the tractor and call Scag customer service they will tell you when it was manufactured. The hour meter will be rectangle not round. Picture of the newer hour meter below.

I don't think it should have air filled front tires if it is a newer model. The ground speeds are also different for some models. Some of the older ones only ran 10.5 even with the larger engine while the newer models with a big Briggs and Kawasaki should run 12 mph. Not a big deal but they made several changes between 04 and now, it's easy for a dealer to slip an older one in and leave the buyer thinking he's getting one that was manufactured more recently than it actually was. But if you get a good deal it really doesn't matter, just nice to know some of this stuff.
So you're saying the new ones have a rectangle hour meter. Because I believe that the vanguard one had a round one. But it was digital. And it did have a suspension seat, but it had air filled tires and the advantage deck. I don't recall if it had the folding or stationary rops. I'll be going back there midway through this week to look at it and possibly purchase one. Thanks for all your help.

Nick

So you're saying the new ones have a rectangle hour meter. Because I believe that the vanguard one had a round one. But it was digital. And it did have a suspension seat, but it had air filled tires and the advantage deck. I don't recall if it had the folding or stationary rops. I'll be going back there midway through this week to look at it and possibly purchase one. Thanks for all your help.

Nick
With an advantage deck and air filled front tires as well as a liquid cooled vanguard motor you may be looking at a 2005 model year machine.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.