1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

27 Kohler vs. 28 EFI Kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tider6972, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I am trying to decide on a 60" ZTR, and one of the final two factors is engine choice.

I ran a couple mowers with the 28 EFI and I really liked the engine...but I have been unable to demo anything with the 27, and some dealers are advising me to get it over the EFI. I believe they are leary of the EFI because they have no experience with it...not to mention to service it they will have to invest in some expensive equipment !:)

Do any of you have experience with BOTH these engines, that you could make a comparison of the two ? I would love to run them side-by-side in the same conditions, but....

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Steve

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

OK, I have a 04 mod, Toro Z588E, 28hp EFI, 60'' Turbo Force Deck.

This thing has soooo much power nothing is a challenge, this engine, Kohler is fantastic, did I mention power?? :)

I would not touch a 27 over a 28 EFI, EFI is such a great thing.

Some makes had earthing probs with their 27 EFI, but those using the 28 EFI all sound happy.

between a 27 and a 28 EFI, definetly go the the 28 EFI.

3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

28EFI, better fuel economy than the 27

4. anteater6788

anteater6788 LawnSite Member

Does anybody know the cost difference between the 27hp and the 28hp EFI on the same mower? I know Cub Cadet offers either on their M60 mower. It seems to me like the EFI engine would be the next best thing to a diesel.

5. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

i think it might be around 900.00 or so