27hp cyclone briggs failure

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by outback32, Oct 26, 2018.

1. outback32

outback32 LawnSite Member

hey guys i have a kubota zg127e. the mower is 5 years old but doesnt get used alot. probably less than 200hrs on it. well it wouldnt start just clicked. i tested the battery solenoid and starter all were good. i thought it may be a safety switch so had the dealer come get it. they call back saying the engine is locked up. now this engine has not been ran out of oil or abused. im at a loss how it could just lockup. so now i have to decide rebuild or repower. ive read these first cyclone engines had problems. so if you were in my shoes what would you do. if repower what would you repower with thanks

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

Myself I would pull the heads and find out why its locked up. May just be rings are stuck to cyl walls. May be an easy fix. Squirt a Little oil into cyl. Try tapping pistons down with wood block. If they pop loose fairly easy. Put it back together. If they are stuck badly may need to hone cyl lightly and get new rings.

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  3. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

TrainingWheels, hort101 and sjessen like this.
  4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you or the " dealer" check to make sure the starter drive/gear wasn't jammed in the fly. ring gear ?

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  5. outback32

thanks for the replies yes i plan on opening it up and finding out what going on. bigfish no i dont think thats been checked. kubota tried telling me on the phone yesterday. my particular mower the only replacement is another cyclone briggs. that just doesn't make sense to me.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Walker56

Please post back what you find. It would be hard to believe that the dealer did not check the starter drive/gear to ensure that it was not jammed in the ring gear as was previously mentioned. But stranger things have been posted on the forum from members who had bad experiences with dealers.

7. outback32

how do you check the gear isnt jammed

8. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Platinum Member

You may be able to see it just looking.
    Otherwise remove eng shroud then look to see if starter gear is meshed into ring-gear still. Or is it dropped down to top of starter.

Walker56 likes this.
  9. Walker56

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  10. outback32

i got the mower back today. the starter was checked. they said they put a 4 ft breaker bar on the engine and couldn't get it to move. briggs said if i take it to a briggs dealer they might pay for the engine repairs depending on whats wrong with it. but if they decide not to pay it. thats a big bill im liable for if they decide not to pay for it. i can get a new engine for 900.00