Lawn Care Forum banner

27hp generac engine idle and governor

23K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeff in AL 
#1 ·
just bought this mower, runs and works great but idle goes up to 4300rpms and when you lower the idle down it don't go down fast like normal. im not to sure how a governor works well I know it works off engine rpm and weights to speed up rpms under load so anyway im hoping it just not adjusted right so they do not have to open engine to work on governor. anyone know if they had issues with the internals of the governor on these 27hp generacs?

#2 ·
Perform the Static Governor Adjustment first.
Perform Dynamic Governor Adjustment second.
Top no load speed (full throttle w/o blades) should NOT exceed 3800 RPM!

Attachments

#3 ·
thanks for the info but I took it to the shop already last week. im more wanting to know if its common to have a issue with the parts inside the engine or if linkage not set right. I know this, when its not in the wot position there is a lot of play in all the rods so im hoping just a simple adjustment fixes it.

#4 ·
thanks for the info but I took it to the shop already last week. im more wanting to know if its common to have a issue with the parts inside the engine or if linkage not set right. I know this, when its not in the wot position there is a lot of play in all the rods so im hoping just a simple adjustment fixes it.
Sooo.......... What did you take it to the shop last week for? This problem? Is it supposed to be fixed and your still having problems over speeding?

Is it common to have an issue with the parts inside the engine or if the linkage is not set right...
Not common to have an internal failure for no reason, no... An internal problem with the governor is more likely to be caused by either a Static Governor Adjustment slipped, or not set right after reassembly. Or caused by the balljoint sockets/studs being worn on the governor arm and throttle shaft and coming disconnected which would allow the engine to over speed. In which case can throw a rod(s) or break the fly weights off of the governor gear. If a fly weight is broken, it will cause a slow return to idle and cause an over speed... If both weights are broken, it will not return to idle and constantly over speed at any throttle setting!

I'm not sure what parts you are refering to as "rods" that have a lot of play?
The "rods" with the black plastic ball sockets on them? There are 2 of them.
Or the links on the other side of the engine for the choke lever and speed control bracket?

#5 ·
when its not in the wot position there is a lot of play in all the rods
This is pretty much normal on any engine since the governor spring isn't pulling/putting tension on the controls......

#6 ·
jeff in AL
well I think you just told me my issue, ( weight broken, it will cause a slow return to idle and cause an over speed) that's exactly what it does. at full throttle it just revs up and then goes to like 4300rpm, idle down and slowly it slows down but takes like 5 to 10 seconds.
ok, next question, about how much time does it take to repair this problem? I want to be prepaired for what the dealer tells me it will cost to fix

#8 ·
4 1/2 hours total? I never pulled a engine out of zero turn but I think I could r and r engine in 1 1/2 hours. also looking at the manual it looks like you just pull engine cover off and its right there. im hoping no more than 4 hours total for labor for this job but then again I never did it but looks straight forward

#9 ·
You gotta remove the engine to replace the governor....2 1/2 hrs engine RnR..
Disassembly ,..cleanup...replacement of governor...reassembly....2 hrs...
Depending on the mower, I would say 1.5 to 2.5 hours R&R time is typical.

I would also agree with the repair time of 2 hours which includes adjusting the valves!

Yeah, it's pretty straight forward...

#14 ·
Alright Slapper, no Junkerac comments. This is one thread to like 20 of my Kohler is broke, leaking, smoking, hissing, weezing threads.
Posted via Mobile Device
now that this came up, how is the generac engines? I think the briggs vanguard is the sexy looking then generac than kohler than Kawasaki.... as foe running and problems I only used Kawasaki and kohler and prefer kohler... I do read the generac is industrial engine rated so that should make it better than all of them but I know nothing about them and my first one is in the shop lol

#16 ·
Alright Slapper, no Junkerac comments. This is one thread to like 20 of my Kohler is broke, leaking, smoking, hissing, weezing threads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmmmm....there ain't no hole in the side of the block ....yet.....
Id say fix it....
They do make an excellent anchor for crab traps...though...

#18 ·
its the internal governor all they told me. should be all fixed and back to me by Saturday. they ordered the parts and when they have them it will get done.
Good to hear,hope all goes well!

Posted via Mobile Device
You know Slapper is not gonna pass a chance to comment on Generac quality. :laugh:

now that this came up, how is the generac engines? I think the briggs vanguard is the sexy looking then generac than kohler than Kawasaki.... as foe running and problems I only used Kawasaki and kohler and prefer kohler... I do read the generac is industrial engine rated so that should make it better than all of them but I know nothing about them and my first one is in the shop lol
Ohh no... Not this question again! Realslowww has done extensive and I do mean extensive research on this, AND he said he might even go with a Generac.

Generacs are great engines. I've had many over the years. Some people have reported linkage problems but I haven't had any yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would agree with Patriot... I have had/seen very few problems with ANY of the units we sold that had a Generac engine on them unless it was "operator error" like not checking the oil! Several with over 2000 hours and nothing but normal service!

Hmmmm....there ain't no hole in the side of the block ....yet.....
Id say fix it....
They do make an excellent anchor for crab traps...though...
I think Slapper might just be starting to come around... I think he said to "fix it"? I knew it was just a matter of time. :laugh:

#20 ·
they look sexy lol.... also sound good. I hope the dealer don't have it fixed for a week so I can make room for a 60 inch Dixie because its a back up machine to a back up machine. lol, I need to stop buying crap I don't need

#21 ·
update, it will be three weeks Tuesday since the shop ordered the governor part and they still did not receive it. I know now generac cares about getting parts to dealers, only three weeks, now I see why these engines are not used on much equipment. if it breaks down and its your only mower you could be forced to go out of business....

#22 ·
they look sexy lol.... also sound good. I hope the dealer don't have it fixed for a week so I can make room for a 60 inch Dixie because its a back up machine to a back up machine. lol, I need to stop buying crap I don't need
update, it will be three weeks Tuesday since the shop ordered the governor part and they still did not receive it. I know now generac cares about getting parts to dealers, only three weeks, now I see why these engines are not used on much equipment. if it breaks down and its your only mower you could be forced to go out of business....
Well, at least you wern't in a hurry to have it fixed!

As you can see, Generac has a note on that part number... ALL 5 (2 of 1 part) items in that kit are available currently!

Attachments

#26 ·
well I think they ordered the part from the moon
Then perhaps, you should question them on it!

Did you have the dealer follow up? Things fall through. The cracks sometimes with any brand. My Scag dealer is by far the best. I put the order in by 2 I get it by 4 the next day, free shipping. My Generac\DC parts usually take about 3 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Same thing with me, I get Generac parts in 1 or 2 days!

no, im sure they did check though, they a huge dealer
Well, as Patriot suggested, you might want to check and make sure. IF they were a huge dealer then, they might even have them in stock!

I stock the gear assembly and spool myself as you can see... Also, as you can see, my distributor has the service kits in stock! So someone seems to be getting hosed!

Adapter Font Cable Circuit component Fashion accessory

Blue Computer Screenshot Font Display device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.