Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a request to mow a 28 acre mobile home park thru YourGreenPal, which isnt really set up for commercial properties, their max bid is $999.
I don't know if the property management company specifically solicited offers thru that app because they hoped to get bids less than a thousand or what.
The property is 121 lots, only ten have homes on them, those 10 are responsible for their own lawns.
Does $999 sound like enough? $35 an acre sounds low to me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe I slept poorly but I’m not processing your info too well. If I’m reading this correctly, you’re asked to bid on a 28 acre MH park which is divided into 111 lots…is this correct? So how much actual green space are you looking at, how much trimming if any? If I divide $999 by 111 lots, I’m getting $9/lot. Dividing it by 28, you get your $35/acre which seems low. What do you figure you can cut in an hour? We have accounts that take over an hr/acre because of obstacles, layout etc. Some guys claim they can cut 5 acres/hr…I know I can’t and never have. You didn’t say if you’re solo or have a crew which makes a difference too…are your people as productive as you? So can you go there in the am, drop the gate, cut all day (figure 8 hrs), load up all in one day? If so, you’re looking at $125/hr. Does that cover equipment fuel, insurance, travel time/fuel and leave enough to make an hourly wage/profit?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Oh so it's now called Your GreenPal?
Unless it's a different company, I tried these folks when it was called GreenPal...

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole, I could write a multi-page eloquent dissertation on these outfits, so long story really short I would not go near these Ubers for lawncare.

You won't even be able to pay your bills with what they offer and they don't care, you'll go out of business while they get paid for your hard work, just say no thank you.

I'll say this much and then I'm out: I have nothing against these middlemen companies in the sense that if you want to give them a try, but my suggestion is start out with small jobs like in the under $100 range or whatever $$$ you're ok with losing.
Because they'll hold your money, they'll make you go back out to fix something the customer wasn't happy with, all sorts of things they don't tell you... But the biggest problem is people who have never done our kind of work bidding on a property they haven't even set foot on.

Then the app fails while you're there, or better yet a customer cancels while you're literally working on their property and you go to push the job completion and it doesn't work... Yeah you ain't getting paid for that, you can't even take out a mechanic's lien on the property because the contract you agreed to expressly forbids you from doing so (and if you do it anyway their lawyers will have no problem getting it lifted).

That's just the tip of the iceberg so like I said if you want to give them a try I would start with small jobs and work your way up so you can get a good feel for how they work, several of them out there.

TAKL was the best but they went out of business, isn't that always the case?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I went and looked at it, it looked like a mower killer, all the "empty" lots had been dug up and there were chunks of concrete strewn about randomly, grass was a foot tall or better. I told them $5k for the initial cut, they said no thanks.
Good for you. Places like that will destroy your equipment. Half way into it you damage your mower. Now you will have to repair it and loose out on other jobs. If you had to pick up the grass your looking at about 20+ dump runs.

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
I went and looked at it, it looked like a mower killer, all the "empty" lots had been dug up and there were chunks of concrete strewn about randomly, grass was a foot tall or better. I told them $5k for the initial cut, they said no thanks.
Yeah even 5k prob not enough when you hit a bunch of other random rebar/concrete hidden in the tall grass. Or fall into some collapsed sewage lines. Let them do it themselves with some push mowers :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah even 5k prob not enough when you hit a bunch of other random rebar/concrete hidden in the tall grass. Or fall into some collapsed sewage lines. Let them do it themselves with some push mowers :D
There were a lot of red flags. If the property had belonged to someone I knew and trusted I would have taken it and probably made money. The treacherous conditions were the reason I listed when cancelling the job on the app, but I have pretty killer warranties and wonderful dealer, I have hit some pretty ridiculous things (like a box spring) and broken spindles and had a loaner delivered within the hour, so equipment damage was actually the least of my concerns.
Some of the red flags:
1. The park appeared to be failing. I have never seen a mobile home park in such poor condition, and so empty.
2. The residents I spoke to said the current owners had only had the park for a year, and had had 5 mowing outfits last season.
3. Residents warned me about a resident who was a thief and a vandal.
4. Residents warned me that the "security officer" was currently wheelchair bound and having his teenage daughter "make rounds" on foot because his truck had "throwed a rod".
5. There were no drug dealers in the park. Every good trailer park has at least one drug dealer. 🤣🤣🤣

1 - 14 of 14 Posts