• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

28 EFI Economy

nick858

LawnSite Member
I bought a 28EFI/60 inch about a month ago. The word was better economy. Today I ran both my 27/60 and the EFI side by side, and when we got home the 27 was running 1.22g/hr, and the EFI ran 1.33 g/hr. The 27 has 400 hours on it, while the EFI has just 35. Can I expect the economy to go up any once the engine has had a longer break in time?

puppypaws

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought a 28EFI/60 inch about a month ago. The word was better economy. Today I ran both my 27/60 and the EFI side by side, and when we got home the 27 was running 1.22g/hr, and the EFI ran 1.33 g/hr. The 27 has 400 hours on it, while the EFI has just 35. Can I expect the economy to go up any once the engine has had a longer break in time?
If the efi doesn't get better fuel economy than the carburetor model you have a serious problem.

OP
N

nick858

LawnSite Member
If the efi doesn't get better fuel economy than the carburetor model you have a serious problem.
Well thats what Im hoping, better economy I mean. I asked the question to see if it should get better once the engine is broke in. I am sure it did worse the first 2 tank through it than my 27, I watched closely. I had heard anything from .75-1 g/hr, so hopefully with a few more hours on it I will be getting better.

OP
N

nick858

LawnSite Member
Happy to report the EFI is definitely showing improvement. We ran the 27 and the 28EFI yesterday, and after 7 hours of use, the EFI used exactly 2 gallons less gas. Havent gotten an exact fuel rate, but it was definitely 2 gallons less on the same terrain.