29HP Vanguard weak starter.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ARN Greencare, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

Please post back if the valve adjustment on the one side made any difference. Hopefully you found the cause of your cold start issue. If not, I would be on the phone with B&S Corporate.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Ya know, the ACR ( auto. comp. release ) is totally dependent on the valves being adjusted correctly, right? Too loose and the ACR ain't gonna do it's job.
    Hopefully, yer adjustment corrects it.

unkownfl, Walker56 and hort101 like this.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE="

Been looking at hose little lithium ones...[/QUOTE]
    I am not convinced those are as good as claims but gave my son the NOCO GB70 for christmas. So will see!

4. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

I am not convinced those are as good as claims but gave my son the NOCO GB70 for christmas. So will see![/QUOTE]
    Ed, post back your sons opinion, good or bad. I gave up my heavy jump pack for the NOCO and have not had any issues.

5. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

Ed, post back your sons opinion, good or bad. I gave up my heavy jump pack for the NOCO and have not had any issues.[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine has/had one. It works well, but it will try to deliver more than it's capacity, he tried jumping off a Duramax with it. It started it, but it fried it too...

6. nomorelawns

nomorelawns LawnSite Member

Don't discount a hydraulic load as part of the problem. I've got a couple Vangard powered units that, as the temp gets low, will not start without the addition of a charger and a toot of starting fluid, or disconnecting the hydraulics till the engine's warmed up.

ARN Greencare likes this.
  7. ARN Greencare

The guy at Grasshopper mentioned unloading the hydraulics to help out.

Tommy Kite likes this.
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems yer main dilemma is yer dealer is a moron. (See quote #3 ) Ain't the unit under warranty? Engine problems/warranty can be handled by any authorized B&S dealer

Look, there is no hydraulic load, nada.

Unloading the hydraulics...now that's a goodun'!
    Did the clown at grassidiots explain how , exactly, yer supposed to "unload" the hydraulics ???
    Bunch of B.S., is all.

dieselss likes this.
  9. prezek

prezek LawnSite Senior Member

I have some walkbehinds that are pull start that you can take the tension off the hydros to start. Never had to do it. Not familiar with the grasshoppers though...I’m guessing your issue is fixed with the valve adjustment.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  10. ARN Greencare

Hasn't been cold enough since the valve adjustment, don't know. I can tell you one thing however, this thing has the flimsiest, cheapest rocker arms in the history of commercial engines. I have checked them on my Kawasaki's which in their history only one engine, one time, needed adjusting, that Kawi has far superior valve-train components. I can see this mower getting re-powered in the future, and Vanguards are going to permanently vacate my fleet.

nomorelawns likes this.