29HP Vanguard weak starter.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ARN Greencare, Dec 29, 2018.

1. ARN Greencare

ARN Greencare LawnSite Member

All the dealer wants to do is sell me a battery, but Grasshopper equips their machines with Deka batteries, which are good batteries. Plus my battery passes load test, and when tested with either a Solar or SPX tester, it comes in around 40CCA higher than the rated 540CCA everytime... And if I take it to any other dealer close by, they put it on the back burner cause I didn't by machine there, not a good way to earn a new customer.

I am wandering about the valve adjustment, the thing runs noticeably better. It used to lope, flutter and pop out of the exhaust when sitting there running free at about 1/2-2/3 throttle. While it is still not the smoothest, it is acceptable now. I am hoping my fuel economy improves too, this thing absolutely drinks fuel.

2. HydroMan#1

HydroMan#1 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

id throw that pos Briggs in the garbage. acr probably broke on it. i also believe Briggs just throw the valves into the motor with out properly seating them. every Briggs (i have worked on a crap ton) I have worked on have leaky valves and are away way out of adjustment.

3. ARN Greencare

Yeah, never again will I buy a Briggs. I am taking it to a dealer probably tomorrow seeing it is finally cold enough to reproduce the problem. I finally, after ten days and a number of Emails, got a hold of Briggs tech dept via E-mail. I now have a case number, and the guy at the tech dept says that starter should never pull anything close to 400 amps. Gonna be amazing if all I need is a starter after all this aggravation. But hey, I guess that is Briggs service for you. Right?

4. ARN Greencare

Update;

So after the valve adjustment and some cold weather, this thing still will not start when cold. I did finally get Briggs to look into it and get a case number for my issue. It is now at the dealer, and we will see from here.

5. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Silver Member

Please keep posting updates. Did you ever call Briggs Corporate Office?

6. ARN Greencare

I got a hold of them VIA Email actually. I wanted text copies of conversations, cause I have decided that I am going to get this resolved one way or the other, and they are not going to simply brush me off like a dead flea.

Doc8406, Walker56 and BigFish like this.