Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i hardly ever full throtal my weedeater. One of my friends that is int the business said that that was not good for the engine... is this true? he said that they are made to full throtal which i think is probably right but if you dont does it hurt the engine?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
It builds carbon up in the exhaust, it's not bad on the engine, more on the clutches.

Exactly - as the service manager for Echo would say "RUN IT A FULL TILT!"

Everyone who works for me is guilty as charged too.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I am of the opinion that 2-cycles work best at higher rpms because that is when they make the most power, however i don't think running them wide open all the time is that good for them either. I tend to operate at low-mid to mid throttle cause this is where it is most controlable and by trimming every week, the weeds aren't thick. I vary the throttle and open it up to clean it out every five minutes or so with a couple 1-2 second full throttles.

They will get plugged up if run at too low rpm for too long, but I can't say that this hurts the motor.

·
Registered
618 Posts
running them wide open all the time is nonsense. run them where they need to be for the conditions they are being used in. Wide open causes more heat and premature wear. Think about it. do you have to run your outboard engine wide open ? How about your 2-stroke dirt bike?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by nelbuts
Run it flat out or the carbon will have to be removed from your exhaust port.
Yep, that true. I tend to run my trimmers at mid range, full throttle if I'm cutting thick grass or weeds.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ahhhhhh, The full throttle debate. First, let me paint a picture; something like this. Off in the distance, you hear that high pitched wheeze, zing whatever, cutting through the air. A poor little 2 cycle engine screaming at the top of its lungs (if it could be translated into English, it would be screaming, God, take my life now). Then you notice the lawn technician with that white knuckle, death grip on the throttle, trying to get 4 million rpm's out of that poor little 4 stroke. What's he doing? He's curding a piece of grass with a plastic string. Let me cover this again for the S L O W readers. We're using a plastic string, spinning at several thousand rpm's C U T T I N G A B L A D E O F G R A S S ! !

This is a personal pet peeve of mine; can you tell? Anyone that ever has, ever does, or will ever work with or work for me, knows they won't have a job long under this scenario ;o)

Under normal working conditions, (excluding the rare occasion of cutting really tall grass, on a bank, etc...) a string trimmer shouldn't be working anymore than 1/3-1/2 throttle. Heck, half the time, on a weekly cut, I walk around with my string trimmer at idle; it cuts perfectly.

Marshall

PS - Lighten that grip up fellas... little more....there ya go!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well this is probablly one of those things that there will never be just one answer to, but my dealer plainly told me when running two cycle to NOT run it at half throttle he said I know you think your saving the engine, but your not he said> Might know what he's talking about they have been in biz. over thiry years in the same location. :confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I by no means claim to be an expert on this. I just think it is absolutely crazy to work a 2 cycle engine to death cutting a blade of grass. When I'm just walking and not cutting, at various points across the yard, I do take the engine to higher RPM's. I don't walk around all day with my machine in idle.

I'm sure you are going to get different opinions on this. I'm sure there is one right answer, but who knows. My small engine mechanic, who sold MOSES his first saw;) says a 2 cycle engine doesn't need to be run MACH 14million 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365. As for the carbon build-up, he's told me to run Amoco or white gasolines in it. I can honestly say that since doing this, all of my 2 cycle equipment have put HIM a little closer to the poor house; they're in my hands a lot more than his :D

Good Luck,

Marshall

PS- I guess it's all relevant to your pocket book. I personally don't expect to get 50 years out of a string trimmer. If the darn thing blows up, I'll take $250.00 and buy a new one. It's probably a big deal to most, but not to me.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty_03
Read your manual!!!! It is true if you don't run it wide open it will clog spark arrestor then then small engine repair man will charge you 60 to seventy dollars to fix it.
Spark arrestor? I usually pitch that little screen. Sixty bucks to clean your spark arrestor. lol

·
Registered
216 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty_03
Read your manual!!!! It is true if you don't run it wide open it will clog spark arrestor then then small engine repair man will charge you 60 to seventy dollars to fix it.
Manuals?...SPARK ARRESTORS?...We don't need no stinking manuals and spark arrestors:D :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
My dealer told me to clean out carbon in the exhaust port by spraying some gasket remover in and let it set for awhile then clean out with something soft such as a popsicle stick, seems to work.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Run Amsoil 100:1 in your 2 strokes and you won't have to worry about carbon build-up in ports or mufflers!! I have been using it in all my 2 stroke stuff. I run my Echo SRM2400 1/3-1/2 throttle all the time and have zero carbon in the exhaust!!

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I run mine at about 1/3 throttle, too, unless I get into some thick stuff like a wet ditch, or something. Most of the time, I have a bit of extra sting out, and have MUCH greater actual cutting power than a shorter string with higher r's. Sometimes though, I find myself with enough string out that it sounds about like a four-stroke, and as soon as I get into some thicker stuff, I have to wind some back in, or cut some off if it needs sharpening.:)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Running trimmer not full throttle;
Finger always on throttle.
Revving engine up and down.
Clutch engaging/disengaging.
Line has to keep up with changes in speed.
Carbon build up, unless paying premium oil mix prices.

Locking throttle open;
Freedom to place hands in various places, cuts way down on hand/finger fatigue. Can maneuver trimmer to greater variety of positions.
Clutch stays engaged, cuts way down on wear.
No carbon build up.
Constant speed does use less fuel.
Line at constant speed, lasts longer, less breakage, cuts better. Really, try it.
Oh, and this is the normal operating speed recommended by manufacturer of these little 2 cycle screamers.

Choice seems like a no brainer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.