2nd Base Question ..PD

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey guys,
Like to hear your thoughts on this..I'll try to be brief
In the vid they are testing Proctor Density after compaction for a base. What sort of bothered me is that i believe the compactor is the 14,000 lb centrifical Weber (not sure) I also don't know how many passes they made before vid started BUT the first test FAILED at 91%. I don't know what you all use but i use a 5000lb centrifical compactor for base. If there is no flaw in this vid I doubt we are getting close to 95% PD with what most guys would normally use,
Steve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZvmvPwlDSc

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
dirt is not just dirt.

It's one thing with dealing with spec'd material. But when you're dealing with existing soil, it varies on so many variables.

OP
xtreem3d

xtreem3d

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't test my compaction..do you guys? with lots of variables , which i totally agree with, I am still concerened a 5000lb compactor may not be doing a good enough job on certain sites.

In other words on your jobs where soil is in question do you go to a bigger compactor then test just to be sure?.My bases come out like concrete but maybe that's misleading without testing it?
Steve

crazymike

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't test my compaction..do you guys? with lots of variables , which i totally agree with, I am still concerened a 5000lb compactor may not be doing a good enough job on certain sites.

In other words on your jobs where soil is in question do you go to a bigger compactor then test just to be sure?.My bases come out like concrete but maybe that's misleading without testing it?
Steve
I've personally never tested soil anywhere but a construction site where there are onsite soil engineers.

I think experience comes in to play here.

For your average driveway, in a familiar area, you should be able to gauge the ground as you compact. If it looks spongy, it probably isn't compacting right. You don't need a soil engineer to tell you that.

And for a driveway that's only going to have cars driving on it for the next 20 years, you will probably get it good enough.

If I was interlocking a driveway for a heavy trucking company it would be a different story.

The same goes for making adjustments to the soil with lime, etc... Personally, I don't have experience doing this. I also don't have experience doing a job where I couldn't keep excavating until I got down to good soil. But I've seen this done in techo videos and the like.

Maybe some others could comment on that?

But I've yet to see it as necessary for your standard jobs.