Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know off the top (or bottom) of their head a commercial controller that will run 3 valves(on one station-one wire in series) + a PSR at the same time. Would need to be 20-25 stations.

Don't say a golf controller. I know that would fit the bill. The problem is the bill would be too much $$$

I have a crazy/stupid idea. Some commercial controllers can run 2 programs with multiple valves at the same time. What if I wired 2 station terminals to the one zone wire (which runs 3 valves) at programmed them on separate programs to run at the same time? Should work in theory right?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The issue is the total draw on the transformer not the amount of “stations”
Yes but, in my case the transformer is not the limiting factor (on most commercial models) but the amount of amperage that can be run through a single station. The triac being the limiting factor.

Hunter ACC and ACC2 will run 14 solenoids at once
I've considered those.
Do you see any problem with the idea I mentioned. Other than some people having trouble with programming

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Yes but, in my case the transformer is not the limiting factor (on most commercial models) but the amount of amperage that can be run through a single station. The triac being the limiting factor.

I've considered those.
Do you see any problem with the idea I mentioned. Other than some people having trouble with programming
sounds like a programming nightmare, I would research controllers that will run 4 valves on one terminal, I believe acc will do it

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hunter ACC and ACC2 will run 14 solenoids at once
Are you sure about that? That would be a huge transformer, let alone the triacs for each station would have to have a very high rating. It would add huge cost to every one they sell for 'that guy' who said he needed it. (Were you 'that guy', Arturf?) 😄:)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you sure about that? That would be a huge transformer, let alone the triacs for each station would have to have a very high rating. It would add huge cost to every one they sell for 'that guy' who said he needed it. (Were you 'that guy', Arturf?) 😄:)
I’ve discussed this topic before on here just throwing it out there again to see if any new developments.

·
Registered
56,291 Posts
Me and you could program it but regular people no way, they can’t set a 4 station residential.

I’ve checked with the big 2 mfg. no dice, may have to look outside the box
So why not look outside the box? One additional plug-in stepdown transformer, plus one "ice cube" relay, and your pump start relay becomes a zero current draw, so far as the controller is concerned.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wireless solutions can run UNLIMITED number of valves from single (as long as there is water pressure) since the load on the clock is ONLY the transmitter. But, like it has been mentioned before, it won't be on the cheaper side.

I am not too familiar with golf controllers and how many valves they can run and how the cost compares in detail.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think you get three-valves-on-a-zone for a bargain price, but with a zone count of at least 20, you aren't going to use an entry-level controller anyway.
Not really expecting a bargain I know it's going to be 1k+. But not bend over and take it golf controller pricing. And even if the costs were close the way golf controllers, at least the one I've worked with, are goofy to program.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts