Lawn Care Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wireless solutions can run UNLIMITED number of valves from single (as long as there is water pressure) since the load on the clock is ONLY the transmitter. But, like it has been mentioned before, it won't be on the cheaper side.

I am not too familiar with golf controllers and how many valves they can run and how the cost compares in detail.
Golf can run 3 valves per terminal. At least the one from Hunter which is a version of the old Buckner.

·
Registered
56,286 Posts
Not really expecting a bargain I know it's going to be 1k+. But not bend over and take it golf controller pricing. And even if the costs were close the way golf controllers, at least the one I've worked with, are goofy to program.
I don't know that it must be 1K+, just that a baseline model stuffed to the gills with expansion modules might reach a zone count over 20, without it possessing 3-on-a-zone capability. By the way, what zone valves are these? (thinking of their solenoid characteristics) - Some valves might be retrofitted with low-power solenoids, as a workaround.

Another possibility is to get a 48 zone controller and program it to run stations simultaneously, keeping valves per station to a maximum of two.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't know that it must be 1K+, just that a baseline model stuffed to the gills with expansion modules might reach a zone count over 20, without it possessing 3-on-a-zone capability. By the way, what zone valves are these? (thinking of their solenoid characteristics) - Some valves might be retrofitted with low-power solenoids, as a workaround.

Another possibility is to get a 48 zone controller and program it to run stations simultaneously, keeping valves per station to a maximum of two.
Valves are a variety pack. Some old Buckner, newer Hunters a few RB

Yes that’s my original thought, to run 2 programs at The same time

·
Registered
56,286 Posts
Valves are a variety pack. Some old Buckner, newer Hunters a few RB

Yes that’s my original thought, to run 2 programs at The same time
If 24 pairs of zones running simultaneously can get the job done, then nothing else would need modification, with the possible exception of the pump start relay, as detailed earlier. There are some solenoids (thinking Toro here, as one known example) with extremely low current draws that would get around controller restrictions, but I doubt that there are any universal versions of them.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
If 24 pairs of zones running simultaneously can get the job done, then nothing else would need modification, with the possible exception of the pump start relay, as detailed earlier. There are some solenoids (thinking Toro here, as one known example) with extremely low current draws that would get around controller restrictions, but I doubt that there are any universal versions of them.
Yes. Other than programming which I would do if this ever came to fruit would be the only issue. Not all stations have 3 valves on them, some 2, some 1.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anyone know off the top (or bottom) of their head a commercial controller that will run 3 valves(on one station-one wire in series) + a PSR at the same time. Would need to be 20-25 stations.

Don't say a golf controller. I know that would fit the bill. The problem is the bill would be too much $$$

I have a crazy/stupid idea. Some commercial controllers can run 2 programs with multiple valves at the same time. What if I wired 2 station terminals to the one zone wire (which runs 3 valves) at programmed them on separate programs to run at the same time? Should work in theory right?

Ok, so 2 wires in zone 1 , a jumper wire to zone 2 and the third wire in zone 2. Is that the idea ?

I’ll be around an ACC tomorrow, want me to try that ?

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, so 2 wires in zone 1 , a jumper wire to zone 2 and the third wire in zone 2. Is that the idea ?

Not really, no jumper wires.
More like wire from any 2 zones/terminals tied to a single zone wire that has 3 valves connected to it. The controller would be programmed to run the 2 zones (on different programs) to run at the same time.
I've no doubt it would work, but you can try it if you want to

·
Registered
56,286 Posts
Are these multiple zone valves wired from controller to zone valve(s) with no field splices? If you only had a few of them, or even more than a few, you could duplicate the pump start workaround for each 3-valve zone. Because of home automation controls, relays that plug into sockets with screw terminals are available for cheap. From a cost standpoint, a bank of workaround relays added to a 22-zone Rainbird ESP-Me might get you home for under $500 (but spend the extra benjamin or two for something a bit more robust.

Available in 10-packs at a unit price of less than $5.00

·
Registered
273 Posts
These would be long runs also
ok, so we know pretty much any controller will run 2 zones on a single terminal. In the 3 valve situations , why not just run an Add-A-Zone. Wire 2 valves together, and wire to one side and run the third valve on the other zone. This will add 1 zone to the controller for each 3 zone manifolds.

·
Super Moderator
3,990 Posts

After thinking more about it I suppose your idea would could work
This just makes them all one big zone (electric conductor), no?

in order words, it will draw the same amperage, from the same source, just as if they were all in the same terminal? wouldnt it?

what am i missing, curious to learn.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Are these multiple zone valves wired from controller to zone valve(s) with no field splices? If you only had a few of them, or even more than a few, you could duplicate the pump start workaround for each 3-valve zone. Because of home automation controls, relays that plug into sockets with screw terminals are available for cheap. From a cost standpoint, a bank of workaround relays added to a 22-zone Rainbird ESP-Me might get you home for under $500 (but spend the extra benjamin or two for something a bit more robust.

Available in 10-packs at a unit price of less than $5.00

There is one wire running from the controller. in the field there are 3 valves wired in series. So if I understand these devices right they would not work in this scenario.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts