1. Ask the Expert: Live Event with Koch - What's In The Bag?: March 22, 2018
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: March 22, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

30 000 doorhanger. How to start up strong and get 50+ clients first season.need help and advice from

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by TADE PAKBEGI, Feb 23, 2018.

TADE PAKBEGI LawnSite Member

Hello there , i have just started a lawn care and landscaping company with my partner, we are both 18 years old and plan to had out 30 000+ doorhangers to residental building. We had our first day yesterday and we handed out 1000 together so it will take us roughly a month to finish them all. We plan to go everyday and are very dedicated . We plan to get at least 30 clients befor end of april and start of may so we confidently buy a truck ,trailer and equipment whoch we saved 30 000$ for .we also plan on spending 5000$ in advertisments such as google ads, seo, facebook , newspaper ads etc.. .what is some advise you could give us about the information you read above? , what are we doing wrong and what are we doing right?

Hoping for allot of feedback .
  2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Make sure you have an exit strategy for your partnership. Who owns what debt, equipment, who keeps the name, etc..
    knox gsl and hort101 like this.
  3. AL's

AL's LawnSite Senior Member

Well i can tell you one thing....

If you hand out 30,000 flyers in the next 30 days you WILL get 30 clients before the end of april.

You may even end up with more work than you can handle.

30,000 pieces is nothing to sneeze at. I think thats awesome!

Make sure you price right. Especially being in a partnership where everything is split. If I had to guess I'd say you need to gross 150-160k for each of you to net around 35. Which is around $4500/week for a 9 month grow season (dont know your area, could be different where your at).

You would need 81 weekly clients at an average of $55 a pop to hit that. Or 162 bi weekly clients. My point is $25-$35 cuts are going to be alot of work for a little money.... if any money. Stay away from the race to the bottom, competing on price is a losing game.

Are you going full service or maintenance only?

With as many flyers as your handing out, id save the 5k on google for next year. Your already spending 30k on equipment. Use the 5k for meat and potatoes and plenty of water to stay healthy. Yall gonna be busy and yall gonna need it! Plus you dont know what unforeseen things may happen and you might need that 5k to replace some equipment buy tires bc of flats or w.e

Get insurance if you dont have it.

Goodluck and keep us posted.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Lawns P.L.U.S. and sehitchman like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

What’s the return on things like flyers?

1% if I recall correctly

That’s 300 live solid leads
    Not 30

I mean that’s just statistically speaking.
    I doubt you’ll actually get all those door hangers handed out

How many households with lawns that you want would even be in your area?
    You have to eliminate the ‘hoods that won’t hire you anyway
    The hoas that have an rfp process
    And the gated communities the you won’t have access to.
    Are there 30,000 median income target customers to be advertised to?

There’s roughly 300k people here in anchorage
    But when you factor in the hoas, trailer parks , low income housing and apartments, that would lead to one door hangers for every door in town and I’d venture to say you’d still have left overs.

My guess is you’ll hand out half of those and can save the other half for later

That’s just my guess.
    As far as google and spending any of your money, I think you need a more experienced adult with past purchasing and spending experience to help you out there.
    We all had more energy and ideas at 18 than sense.
    I think getting some help and ideas from the family is a good idea.
    Maybe an uncle or older brother, someone who hadn’t been directly involved in your life and decisions for the last 18 years but could still be considered a trusted family member.
    Don’t make any large purchase decisions (over 500 bucks) with out consulting your advisor (whom ever you choose)

JLSLLC Inactive

thats a ton of fliers, best wishes to you guys, you live in a large area? id be into the next state trying to hand that many out.. keep us posted on that

also your punctuation has me thrown off.. you guys have 30k saved? 15k each?
    TPendagast and hort101 like this.

Yeah we have 30K saved together

We're not worried about the money , we just want to make sure that we can get allot of clients fast.
  8. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Tade, a ridiculously easy way to burn through $5k or $30k is to have that as an overarching "strategy".

Some detail on your experience, realistic capabilities, and actual strategy might be in order. To me, based solely on what you're told us, it reads like a page from the reddit entrepreneurial threads re: lawn mowing and maid services.

Assuming you haven't, I'd suggest spending some time in the "Starting a Lawn Care Business", "Business Operations", and "Digital Marketing" sub forums.
    grassmonkey0311, JLSLLC and hort101 like this.
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would advise to wait another year and spend all of 2018 preparing a strategy.

Not to mention get an attorney to write up a contract between the two of you.

Your jumping into a fire blindfolded.
    Lawns P.L.U.S., murraybd1 and hort101 like this.
  10. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Missouri

That's a really silly statement. So you don't care if you're making a profit as long as you have a certain number of clients?

Let me guess....you multiplied 50 times $20 a mow came up with $1000 a week, and think you're actually making $1000 a week and thought....wow that's more than I can make working for someone else.