30 inch push mower opinoins.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by paulsgrass, Jan 17, 2020.

1. paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

I am considering getting a 30 inch push mower this season. I currently run 21 inch push mowers. There are properties that I do that a 21 inch is tough to get through between 2 houses and some where I have to tilt the machine sideways to pass.

For the ones where I can get a 30 through easily would it be worth the investment ? I would assume it would get me through properties quicker ? It would mean less passes and and least 5 minutes saved on each property and that adds up fast.

I don't want to get into any thing bigger then a 30 inch as it will not work for almost any property that I currently have and will keep going in this direction. The guys with the bigger machines can not do these properties. I al do not want to go more then 30 inches for the size and weight factors. Its a big machine requiring possibly a trailer that holds more weight and the time to secure the machine. A 20 inch is easily secured on my trailer with a couple of bungee cord and will not go any where unless the trailer flips over.

What are you thoughts opinions and most important what machines are most reliable and makes models to stay away from ? I really hate the thought of buying a lemon.

My opinion the old Lawn Boys are hands down the best 21 inch mowers of all time.

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

There are 100s of posts in the lawn equipment forum on this subject.

3. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

Thank you for that post count.

4. JFGLN

5. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

That thread was started in 2013. It is 113 pages . I would hope different machines have come out since then? What year were duds ? What year produced good machines ?

All I am asking is for a few people with some knowledge, experience on what to buy, not to buy and what to stay away from. I feel like I am pulling teeth here.

6. JFGLN

There are no new 30" machines that I'm aware of. I believe the newer Exmark/Toro models have been updated with more power and better transmissions.

Google 30" mower lawnsite. You will find the answers to your questions.

hort101 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

I would think machines are updated almost yearly, motors, wheels , gears etc. if nothing more then the for sale factor. Am I wrong presuming this ? I have no idea what years models to stay clear of. Should I buy new / used ? That is my dilemma. Thinking of going with Toro but I do not know how reliable they are. I heard the 30 inch toro lacks power ? And again what years models to stay away from. For me this is a large investment. If it is not worth it and the 30 has too many know defects I will stay with my old reliable 21 inch lawn Boys. Up here a commercial 30 inch Toro self propelled is in the 3,000.00 dollar are maybe even a little more after 13% tax. Will the machine break down before it makes back its money ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  8. Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Toro and Exmark are the only companies that have made the 30" for any amount of time. Same company, almost identical mower except for some cosmetic things.

I got a Turfmaster HDX last July with the Kawi 180cc and I love it. It does good 85% of the time and when it does struggle, its usually cause you need to scrape the deck and sharpen blades.

There is the new version out too with the Kohler 210cc engine, but I haven't seen a whole lot on it yet

9. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  10. OP
    OP
    paulsgrass

paulsgrass Banned

I would think scraping the deck and sharpening the blades would be a regular maintenance. How do you find it compared to a 21 inch ? Are you noticing a time difference even if only a few minutes per lawn ? How are you finding weight in comparison and lastly pulling backwards up a hill that I have no choice but to do on some properties.