30152 - Toro 52" Side-Discharge Mower Deck

bsearcey

LawnSite Member
Hi there. First post and probably not the last. Hopefully this community is like others I've joined and folks will offer what insight they can provide.

I recently purchased an older Toro Walk behind. Model 30177 Serial 200000073 (I think). Mechanically it seems sound and I "test drove" it before buying. Definitely shows it's age, but I think my son and I will still be able to get good use out of it.

I am running into a problem I've never experienced before. One of the spindles (deck 30152), when I add grease, the grease doesn't pump out of the bottom. Pressure builds up to the point that the spindle will not turn. When I remove the blade bolt this releases the pressure, I get some of the grease out, and the spindle frees up.

I've taken the spindle shaft out, but not the bearing assembly. Looking at it through spindle housing and feeling around, everything seems fine. There is no play our really rough sounds when the spindle is free.

I'm not opposed to completely taking it apart, but of course don't want to if I don't need to. Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be the issue? I've tried researching and can't really find anywhere that cover's this. The other spindles grease up fine and don't have this issue.

Thanks in advance!

1616544638402.png

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Some one could have replaced the spindle bearings with double seal bearings instead of bearings with a seal on one side. Could also be a aftermarket spindle missing a weep hole for the grease. You could drill a weep hole as far away from the grease zerk as a last resort fix.

OP
B

bsearcey

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. As far as I can tell, everything is OEM. The parts in the deck match the parts diagram exactly. The spindle shaft definitely has a small hole in it for the grease to distribute into the housing. Is there a weep hole on the spindle housing? Everything I've seen shows the grease usually just pushes out at the bottom or top of shaft when full.

Thanks again Mac.

OP
B

bsearcey

LawnSite Member
For what it is worth and maybe to help someone else out, I believe I found the answer. I located a spindle repair manual. Not exactly right for my spindle but generally same configuration. This is from the manual:

Pump grease into the assembly until grease is relieved pass the lower seal. The ability to relieve grease without pushing out the seal is why to lower seal is installed with the lip facing out.

I'm nearly 99% that the lower seal is installed w/ the lip (rubber part) facing into the spindle housing. This makes alot of sense because this would create a seal not allowing grease to push through and build up the pressure. Probably last time the bearings were replaced someone just accidentally put it in wrong.

Hopefully , I can pull this seal without destroying it. I don't think they are expensive, just ready to get this fixed and not have to order or go buy one.

Top Forums