30in vs 26in vs 21in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Aaron Cover, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Aaron Cover

Aaron Cover LawnSite Member

which deck size would you use for push mowing 5k sq ft of lawn 30in,26/25 in, 21 in. thanks for the help

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

The one you already own.
    I would personally use my 48" WB on it. I do not own a smaller lawn. I turn down the 1 or 2 lawns a year that call that require it.

fritowrdo likes this.
  3. Aaron Cover

Aaron Cover LawnSite Member

i currently use a honda 21 in and am looking to upgrade to a bigger mower for my lawns

4. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well then the largest deck you can fit on the majority of your lawns. And then use the 21" on the few others you need to.

Why waste $ on a 30" if a 48" or something else will fit speeding up your work allowing you to get more jobs.

5. Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Member
    from CA

i would be replacing the 21in with a 30in on all of my lawns

6. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

21" is the optimal size for a push mower. 30" push mowers are homeowner fodder. Need Anything bigger than 21" just go to a true commercial Hydro Walk, 32" or 36".

7. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

We use the 30" Exmark a lot, but try not to use it exclusively when cutting more then 2,000 sq ft. We would use it on 5,000 sq ft instead of our 48", if the customer would pay $10 more per cut.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Trouble with the 30 is not enough hp

With a 32 you've got a whole nother animal with over double the hp and only 2" of cut.

For all the problems the 30 has, it's an easy argument to spent 4 grand instead of 2 grand, if you're serious about doing small lawns.

The 30" can hold a candle to a real 32" wb
    It's not even comparable

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

The 30" works fine for us. I guess we must have some extraordinary super natural human powers. We have a 32" metro with a 15 hp kawi and it does have more power, but we do not need the HP. We cut at 3" & remove about 2". If we cut at 2" & had to remove 3", the 30" would not work.

10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Mid size walks leave a sloppy cut , leave lots of trimming, scalp , lay the turf down around the edges. I wish it was not so but any time you gain on mowing you lose on trimming on any lawn under 2.5k. Anything bigger than than 2k a 42 walker rules. Midsize walks with offset decks and 47" wheelbases suck. I can make it acceptable with a trimmer , but when all is said and done the 30 does a better job faster.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017