30in vs 26in vs 21in

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Aaron Cover, Sep 12, 2017.

1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I've never had that experience with intermediate walk behinds
    Always got the best cuts and best times with them
    Unless you're bagging or doing an acre or more

2. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Silver Member

Mid Size Walks take more skill to operate, especially on smaller properties.

A monkey can use the 30" push mower and not do much damage. Only benefit.

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

That and trimming is less, scalping is less , Deck cleaning is 100% faster, unload /load time is faster, fuel consumption is less , changing to bagging is 1000 times faster, service time, no contest....oops , there's that. I spent the last two weeks trying to justify dragging the SWZ along ......I can't , the finish cut and total job times suffer on every lawn. A walker B or Turfmaster does everything better. Makes a great $2000 backup for three mowers though. Walker B, S and a 30.

BTW , I came up with the ultimate double blade ..... not for general consumption though , only PM.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. Turf Tracer

Sure you scalp more if don't have the skill to oporate. Decks are Light and Easy to Piop.

We do well over 200 upscale small lawns weekly w/mid size walks at 2" and Never Scalp and leave almost No Trimming.

30" push mower a dumb concept. 21" optimal push mower size.

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I guess I have to take pictures of little depressions that leave scalp marks with the swz I have two on my 500 sq foot front alone. No way a wheelbase of 47" does not scalp more than a thirty. I call BS on that one. thick uneven low cut height, your scalping, has nothing to do with on skill level , if you put the rear wheel near the depression at 2"-2.25" on a long WB mower you are scalping.

No more trimming LMAO , put a long walk into a 3-5' corner section and there is 3-5' of corner you are trimming 18" of minimum , more in the rt corner due to offset deck, that's 7.5 sq feet of thinning alone. Defending mediocrity is hilarious to me. Production crews.........oblivious......

6. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

But somehow you find it difficult to use?:help:

7. Turf Tracer

You kids complaining about scalping w/mid size Walks need to learn to use the handlebars. Decks are light.

The fiXed take more skill than hanging to be sure but I can cut any lawn w/36" floater that most inexperienced guys would scalp w/21" and leave a carpet.

8. Waiting for Winter

Waiting for Winter LawnSite Member

I use a 30" Exmark for a few lawns with a gate too narrow to fit my 36" walk behind. I'm not a fan of the 30" Exmark. It struggles to cut ankle-high grass, especially when wet. Unfortunately, I have a few properties that have gates too narrow for my 36" walk behind, so I have to use it.

oqueoque likes this.
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Great , ride the handlebar and now uour trimming that whole section, you just added time to the job, on average 20-25% trim time over a walker 42 or a 30.

10. Turf Tracer

trimming what? You float the deck for a second or 2 w/handlebars 1/16" or slightly more or less. Guys running mid size on small props at low heights need to be aware of what front casters are doing and have the skill to react.

Most do not