1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

31hp Briggs Vanguard Big Block

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kyfireman2004, Aug 16, 2007.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 2 on 72" Z decks and very pleased.

2. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

yep... had mine about a year now and i cant say ANYTHING bad about it. i run mobile 1 fully synthetic in it, keep my air filter clean and havent had one problem with it. the engine simply does NOT kill. your blades will almost come to a complete stop before the governor kicks in.

3. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

How economical is this motor on fuel? My dealer tells me his reps say the fuel injected Kawasaki gets about as good of mileage as the diesels. I am just curious what the big block does.

4. West KY Lawncare

West KY Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have the 29 dfi on one scags turf tiger and the other turf tiger has the 31 big block and I can't tell any difference in fuel consumption. One account took about 6 hours of good running and they used about the same amount of fuel. I may have pushed the 29 a little harder than my wife pushed her 31 but the both used about the same amount of fuel. Main difference in the two is that one has a choke and the other does not. Both have lots of power!

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

No problems here. Smooth, plenty of power, and uses a little more fuel than my 27 Kohler. I would buy another big block Briggs. They seem to be a tried and true preformer.

6. Cooter

Cooter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Anyone have much to say about the 35 hp Briggs?

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Love my 31 on the 60" Lazer Z. Not a single problem with it.

8. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Are any of these big blocks water cooled?

9. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I loved the 31 so much I went back and got the 35. The only problem that I had was the teeth on the oil pump sheared off after about 400 hrs on the 31hp and the warranty covered a new short block. Awsome performance!