1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

32" viking vs 32" toro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Apr 14, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i've been going round and round on this topic with my wife for some time now and since were supposed to be business partners she gets to have final say in weather i can get a new mower or not... she doesn't want me spending more money on equipment that "i don't even need"... so when i do get to make this purchase i want it to be completely thought through... I've searched on here numerous times and have posted questions similiar to this in the past, but here it goes anyway....

most of my properties and are anywhere from 1000 sqft to 7000 sqft average is around 3500 sqft and have 34" gates but enough of them have wider gates that make me feel that i should consider getting a 36" and tough out the others with a 21" .. so here's the dellima what should i go with?

32" exmark viking, which has a fixed deck and ecs controls.. dealers are real close by.. price about $4000

32" toro gear drive with a floating deck and t-bar.. dealers are real close by.. not sure on price

36" great dane super surfer, which has higher top speed, and more manuverable.. but the closest dealer is an hour and a half away... price about $6000

personally i'd rather ride something than walk if i could so if there's a 32" rider of any sort that's worth thinking about i'd consider that too...

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have a 32" Toro fixed-deck and it works great for those yards with narrow gates. Paid 2100.00 for it last year.:)

3. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the only thing i worry about with the fixed deck is does it ever scalp? most of my lawns are basically flat but every once in a while i get one with a few dips... also how well does it mulch, stripe, handle wet grass, and leaves...the only answer i get from dealers is "oh this machine is simply the best"... but then they are trying to sell it so i can never tell by talking to them

4. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Don't know the quality, but Encore has a 34" zero-turn rider

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

remember with belt drive on small props reverse can be annoying.

hydro the better time saver, obviously though more $

6. toby

toby LawnSite Member
    from ontario

32 belt won't save you any time on small props over a good 21" & in many cases will be less productive. If you have alot of small gates go hydro 32".

7. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I just got 32" toro with fixed deck and t-bar. So far it has worked out real good. I didn't get it for gates (not many around here) as much I did for small islands and small places around buildings. I would have to agree with bubble-boy about the gear driven and using reverse, can see were it will be annoying. If it will be your main mower, I would get a hydrostatic.

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

toby,
    I would have to disagree. Any good 32, wheather belt or hydro, is a big timesaver over a 21. We don't back up our 32"wb. We always cut going forward and use a string trimmer for any corners or tight spots. We don't make money going backwards, that's a waste of time. We only use reverse to get it off the trailer.:D

9. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

MY WIFE AND I PURCHASED A 32" TORO (BELT DRIVE) FROM THE CHURCH THAT WE DO EVERY WEEK. FESCUE LAWN ALL AROUND. WE PURCHASED THE BAGGING KIT AND HAVE SAVED OVER 1 1/2 HRS. IN CUTTING TIME WHEN USING 21" TOROS. WE ALSO STRING TRIM AROUND TIGHT CORNERS AND USE A 21" IN WEIRD SITUATIONS. THERE IS ALSO A TORO WAREHOUSE IN FRESNO IN THE EVENT WE NEED PARTS. NOT FAMILIAR WITH THE EXMARK, BUT HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WITH THE TORO. WITH A FIXED DECK, I TRY AND FAMILIARIZE MYSELF WITH LOW DIPS IN THE LAWN AREA AND WORK ACCORDINGLY. AS WITH ALL ASPECTS OF THIS BUSINESS, IT TAKES PATIENCE!!

10. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

If it were me, I'd go with either a 21" or a hydro 36". Too each his own.

Hank