1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

32" vs. 36" and 21"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billc, Sep 30, 2004.

1. billc

billc LawnSite Member

As my first season ends, I'm considering changing mowers. I have an eXmark 52" HP ZTR I'll definitely keep. I also have an eXmark 36" Metro and a Toro 21" recycler.

I'm thinking of replacing both the 36" and 21" with a 32" for next season. I have about 20 customers, and have had no situation where a 32" would not have worked in place of either of the other two mowers.

I know Toro and eXmark both make 32". Any other brands? Have any of you used a 32"? I'd like your wise opinions of my idea, please.

2. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

scag and ferris do. The ferris has a hydro 32 which looks like a very good machine.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well I would get the 32" metro. I got one and love it. As for the 32" dual hydro, only Wright currently makes one. But if you wait until spring, they will have a 32" stander. I want one.

4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would keep the set up you have now. I own just about the same equipment as you (52" rider, 2 36's and a 21 snapper) and the places my 36" won't fit a 32" won't fit either. I just watch what I bid and make sure they have atleast a 37" gate or if I have to mow it with the 21" it better be small enough I can be done within 10 mins. Thats my thinking on 32" mowers.

5. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I have 32" dual hydro eXmarks & the 21" Prolines get used more Often....What Does that Tell You ?!?!?

6. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 32" Snapper WB. I can squeeze it into many backyards where a 36" would be impossible to fit into. For my needs, it is a very useful machine.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a Bob-Cat 32" and I've been preaching the benefits of it for a long time. Other LCO's comment, "You can get into anywhere with that". A 21 is is used where the area is too narrow for the deck like between curbs and sidewalks etc...

8. davis

davis LawnSite Member

i have a toro 32 fixed deck and i like it

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep the mowers that you have now. if you are doing or want to do commercial accounts your going to have to get a 21" to mow the small areas by the pavement. if you have to have a 21" then why get rid of the 36"?

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel that a 32-36" mower is necessary, for just about any LCO.. Even If it's just a cheap belt WB.... Here's my reasoning.. anything you can cut with a 21, you can cut much faster with a 32.. More horsepower is one of the main reasons, a higher ground speed is another, and finally, lower operator fatigue. In some cases you may even be able to do a property in half the time or less with a 32 vs. a 21.. There ARE some areas though that you must have a 21 for.. like the long narror strips in a parking lot island or some other area that one would just work the best for ( and I haven't found to many of those areas.. So here's what I'd do.. get a 32" machine that suits your fancy, buy a cheap 21" Wally World hi-wheel special, and call it done..

Shoot, some areas that some folks do with a 21, I can usually do faster with a trimmer..Either way though, machines like Gravly's z34 and the forthcoming 32" wright Stander, would be top on my shopping list. More productivity/speed/power= more payup