1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

35 Briggs Vanguard using oil

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Bond's Lawn Keepers, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

I have a Exmark Lazer Z XS, with a 35 Briggs Vanguard. The motor has 511 hrs. bought in March 07. I told my dealer that the motor is starting to use oil and i can smell the oil. He told me that the motor is sucking air and it needs new rings. But he also said Briggs will not warranty the repair work. I also have a 31 Briggs Vanguard that has 1100 hrs. without any problem at all.
    Why don't Briggs fix this motor. I use nothing but EXmark mowers. Can you tell me why they want fix this motor. The dealer tell me to use nothing but Briggs air filter.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bond's Lawn Keepers,

Your dealer said Briggs won't warranty the repair work? What reason did he give?

Later,
    KC

3. Bond's Lawn Keepers

Bond's Lawn Keepers LawnSite Member

He said he has to tear it down and see what is wrong. He stats all the ones that he has had trouble with Briggs will not warranty the motor. Hopefully i am not the one they turn down with only that many hr. on the motor. He will let me know in a few days. Someone suggest that i need to change dealer. I will not change dealer, i really like my dealer. I have been in business for 17 years and he is the only one i trust working on mowers and buying mowers from.

4. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I got one that uses a quart a day so I do feel for ya it has 1000 hrs, I am just gonna get a new engine.........From a cub cadet dealer of all things, the exmark dealer wants 2400 and the cub dealer can get me one for 2000. The two XS's I have that have the 31hp briggs are the last briggs I will ever own. I do have one of the briggs diesel in an XP with 1900 hrs running strong, musta got lucky on that one.

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

whats wrong with your XS's with the 31"s? i got 1 with a little over 500 hrs and haven't had any problems....yet. let me know what i need to watch for

6. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

My 72" xs with a 31hp made it to 780 hrs before a bearing went kaputz and scattered it. It was at least under warranty.
    My 66" sucking down 1 quart of oil per DAY is ready for a new engine at 1000 hrs, along with the hydro problems it has had, I will look at ALL other brands out there when buying my next couple of new mowers in early 2009. I have been a hardcore exmark fan since 2001, that may change. I just gotta phase out some of these I got now before I buy a new batch of machines ....currently....(2) 60 turf tracers (1) 60 xp diesel (1) triton 60 27 kohler w/ultravac (1) 72 xs (1) 66 xs (1) 36 tracer (1) 34 phazer

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My friends water cooled Kawasaki is blowing blue smoke after 1,000 hrs so go figure.

8. Tower Rat 95B

Tower Rat 95B LawnSite Member

You Guys , those are some low hours to have oil issues , have ya been straight up with air filters and oil changes? I had a pto clutch go out at 450 hours and dealer would not warrenty , next mower I buy WILL come with a free pto or that dealer loses the sale,,,,,,,,,, payback time indeed......... You guys should not have those problems with low hour, remember that next time ya drop 10 grand for a mower...........