Lawn Care Forum banner

$35 per man hour

7K views 65 replies 24 participants last post by  Envy Lawn Service 
#1 ·
saw a competitors contract the other day. this "competitor" has 5 trucks, heavy equipment, top of the line stuff. his hourly rate on his contract was.....$35 per man hour. what a joke. how the hell do u people make any money?

#4 ·
bobbygedd said:
saw a competitors contract the other day. this "competitor" has 5 trucks, heavy equipment, top of the line stuff. his hourly rate on his contract was.....$35 per man hour. what a joke. how the hell do u people make any money?
This is all conjecture below but look at this way.

3 guys at 9.00 per hour

1 hour job = $105.00 @ $35.00 per hour

$27.00 paid out for labor

$78.00 profit - expenses and taxes.

Whats the problem? Guys probably pulling in around $40.00 per hour profit.

Of course is all speculative and relative to how many guys are on the job and how much he is paying them. Unless you HAVE that info all you can do is make educated guesses.

#5 ·
pga- spoken like a true amatuer. those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, for the ride over? those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, when they have to stop and pee. those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, loading and unloading the equipment? matching taxes, accounting/payroll fees......smarten up kid.....$35 an hour will send you to the poor house

#9 ·
bobbygedd said:
pga- spoken like a true amatuer. those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, for the ride over? those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, when they have to stop and pee. those guys are on the timeclock, aint they, loading and unloading the equipment? matching taxes, accounting/payroll fees......smarten up kid.....$35 an hour will send you to the poor house
Wow, my whole post went right over your head. :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

#11 ·
I don't "make" money...I 'earn' it...

#12 ·
#13 ·
Ok bobby, how much do you charge an hour when you go out on a job solo?

#14 ·
bobbygedd said:
Question #1...No
#2...No
#3...Yes

You better smarten up bobby...If they put 4 guys on the job for 1 hour that is $140/hr...Pay each man $10/hr and you just made $100/hr, well above your $1/minute...Damn near twice that...and he didn't have to lift a finger...top that:hammerhead:

#15 ·
PGA said:
Does it matter? I charge (and get) $55/hr tho...:weightlifter: :usflag:

#16 ·
Splicer said:
Question #1...No
#2...No
#3...Yes

You better smarten up bobby...If they put 4 guys on the job for 1 hour that is $140/hr...Pay each man $10/hr and you just made $100/hr, well above your $1/minute...Damn near twice that...and he didn't have to lift a finger...top that:hammerhead:
no YOU BETTER smarten up. unless u have those guys working non stop on site all day long, every day, you''ll get your but whooped

#17 ·
PGA said:
when i go solo? it can vary anywhere from $50-$150 an hour. BUT, genius, on myself, i don't pay- matching payroll taxes, workman's comp, or payroll fees. when u get employees, you'll understand, till then, don't even try

#18 ·
Splicer said:
Does it matter? I charge (and get) $55/hr tho...:weightlifter: :usflag:
Obviously it does. Youre charging $55.00 an hour. How much are you bringing home? You can drop over 30% of that right off the bat for taxes. IF youre doing it legally. Now your down to $38.00. Then knock off expenses like gas, insurance, maintenance. Your probably bringing home $25.00 an hour.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Remember, this is all if youre doing it LEGALLY.

And would you look at that. That 25.00 is less then the guy charging $35.00 a man hour in my other scenario.

#19 ·
PGA said:
Obviously it does. Youre charging $55.00 an hour. How much are you bringing home? You can drop over 30% of that right off the bat for taxes. IF youre doing it legally. Now your down to $38.00. Then knock off expenses like gas, insurance, maintenance. Your probably bringing home $25.00 an hour.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Remember, this is all if youre doing it LEGALLY.

And would you look at that. That 25.00 is less then the guy charging $35.00 a man hour in my other scenario.
I'm legal buddy...insurance, workmans comp, the works:weightlifter: ...You obviously do not know what it takes to make a living. If you think a guy charging $35/hr is doing better than a guy charging $55/hr, you don't know math too well...not to mention that when you are legit expenses come out of the company, NOT my pocket...

Deductions, deductions, deductions...:cool2:

#20 ·
bobbby first time im not agreeing with you

if he working 40 hours a week he mking "72k a year" not many jobs out there paying 72k a year and if he has 5 trucks all day im sure he making more money than you or I with only 1 route charging more hourly

not everyone for some reason is out there to become filthy rich they are happy making $50k a year and living a basic life

#21 ·
JJLandscapes said:
bobbby first time im not agreeing with you

if he working 40 hours a week he mking "72k a year" not many jobs out there paying 72k a year and if he has 5 trucks all day im sure he making more money than you or I with only 1 route charging more hourly

not everyone for some reason is out there to become filthy rich they are happy making $50k a year and living a basic life
50k is poverty buddy.

#22 ·
Splicer said:
I'm legal buddy...insurance, workmans comp, the works:weightlifter: ...You obviously do not know what it takes to make a living. If you think a guy charging $35/hr is doing better than a guy charging $55/hr, you don't know math too well...not to mention that when you are legit expenses come out of the company, NOT my pocket...

Deductions, deductions, deductions...:cool2:
Slow down buddy. I never said you werent doing it legally. Im not attacking you at all. Im trying to explain how this is working. There is nothing wrong with my math. Go back and reread what I posted. All scenarios and companies are different.

#23 ·
bobbygedd said:
50k is poverty buddy.
Actually its not. I believe the poverty line is somewhere around $9,000 a year.

#24 ·
bobbygedd said:
excuse me? you charge the client hourly, FOR THE TIME SPENT ON THIER PROPERTY, not the travel time, etc. smarten up
Again, you are no business man charging to get to the job. You are a thief when that happens. You are robbing the client...

Lets see it takes FIVE minutes to get there from here...lets stop, have lunch on the way and stop at the equipment dealers place (which is also on the way) and chat for about 1/2 hour and by the time we get to the clients property (wich SHOULD have taken only 5 minutes) we can charge an additional HOUR...

One word...THIEF...one more word...LIAR...saying it took you an hour. You are very unethical and it is fools like you that are bringing this country to its knees...:hammerhead:

#25 ·
bobbygedd said:
50k is poverty buddy.
yea maybe in beverly hills but if husband and wife both making 50k a year they making 100k total incase ur math is a lil bad

you can live in any state in the US with a combined 100k a year or who knows maybe his wife is a lawyer making 250k a year and he doesnt like seeing her ugly a$$ and would rather cut grass 12 hours a day

i live in the 13th richest town in the US in 2005 and the avg household income was either 113 or 130k a year

#26 ·
yea, whatever. you girls argue amoungst yourselves. i need a bath, and few more brewskies, then mom's gonna clip my toenails, which usually leads to...well, you know. the girl just finds my toes irresistable, what can i say. later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.