• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

36" ferris single hydro drive

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Has anyone bought a 36" ferris single hydro drive within the past year? If you have how much did you pay for it? I am thinking about buying one that I found new for $2900 trying to see how the price compares? Also is it a good machine?

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
For a single hydro machine, you will not find a better cutting mower. I bought one as my first "real" mower about 3 years ago and it was like $3200 after taxes and all so your price sounds about right. They have timed blades which cut great and the mower is built just as heavy duty as the bigger mowers. Mine only got used the first year full time and now is a backyard mower with prolly 300 hours on her. The single hydro is not as easy to turn and you cant pull a sulky around like a dual hydro but then again they are about 2 grand less than the dual hydros. I love mine, just kinda takes a little more effort on those really hot days.

DoetschOutdoor

LawnSite Bronze Member
A sulky is not designed for this mower and my dealer would not sell me one nor would the manufacturer of the sulky. I called everyone and they said no. You have to manually turn it halfway in the turn and learn to use the controls to help ya. It does not have the option of completely stopping one wheel for true zero turn capability. I think that a one person has posted up somthing about this mower being able to use his sulky but it is not recommended and you will get poor results.

OP
M

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a "bull rider" sulky, it has the swivel wheels, so it will not jacknife.

When you turn the mower, both mower wheels move? It doesn't operate like the 48-61" comfort control DD models?

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE

LawnSite Member
i sold a 32" last week that was a year old for $2100. it was the worst mower i have ever ran, your thumbs hurt after an hour and good luck trying to cut a hill!! on the single hydro you have to turn it with your body! and a velke will not work out good. check out a new belt drive exmark or scag for around $3k

OP
M

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I currently have a 36" John Deere belt drive. I bought it in 2003. It is too much of a workout to operate the machine. When you turn to go back the other direction, you have to make a half turn then pull it back to you and then you can go. This causes a lot of fatigue. I was hoping that the Ferris 36" will be much easier to use. You have to turn it with your body? Does pushing up on one thumb control turn into that direction?

mattfromNY

LawnSite Bronze Member
Cuts nice, have to 'muscle' it a bit in turns, side-hilling is a b&^ch. (Up hill wheel just spins, as the wheel with the least resistance is the 'driving' wheel, obviously as the weight shifts onto the down-hill wheel, the uphill wheel becomes the driving wheel and just spins, not propelling the mower). I actually have a bagger on mine as well, as the bagger fills up it causes the left wheel to lift a bit and I lose the driving force due to that wheel spinning. And as someone else posted, your thumbs WONT thank you if you have to run this mower for any length of time! I've had mine for 4 years, paid $2800 when I bought it new.
Hope it helps,
Matt.

lifetree

LawnSite Fanatic
Generally speaking, I agree with the others here ... stay away from a single hydro machine, if you can !!

OP
M

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I will stay from it then... thanks. Like I said, I already have a machine that creates fatigue using it, so I don't want to replace it with one that will do the same thing. Before I saw this mower, I was thinking about a snapper pro 36" (I think it is a dual hydro?) anyone use that, how does it compare to the ferris 36"?