Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a ton of trouble deciding on what kind of walk behind mower I want to get...

I would like to go with a wider (48") mower for time savings, but I don't know practical it can be with uneven lawns, gates, and with moving it around (like if it gets stuck).

A 36" would give me a large improvement over my 33" right now because my 33" only goes 3mph, so its not like its just about the width you know? Plus my mower can't mulch very well, so saving passes would speed me up too. A 36 could fit through almost any gate.

Also, do one of those sizes mulch better than the other in general? Like a 2 blade 36" has larger blades than a 3 blade 48 (which helps with cutting taller grass etc).

I only have one HUGE property right now, which is a nursing home. As of now, I have my friend help me with his small 38" rider and my 33" W/B. Besides that, I mostly have residential lawns. Half prolly have gates. A few gates will fit anything, about 4 or 5 that a 44 or 48 woudln't fit into.

And thats another thing. I don't think a 44 is practical, because its already too wide for most gates, but you loose a good bit of productivity from a 48 lol. (It does have 2 blades though right? That would be great for bahia or tall grass!)

Also, if I get a 36" is it as important to get hydro? I don't know for sure how the belt drivens work. You just pull and that side goes right? Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
too early to tell for sure, I just got my 36 Monday, but I have once, said I was glad I didn't get the 48, tight backyard, yadda yadda yadda. but if the 33 was your backyard machine....
As far as belts, I haven't had any problem getting it to do what I want, and the hydros are so high, Ill get a ZTR if I'm going to spend that much.
Norm

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I forgot to mention, if I got a 36" mower, I could sell my 33" and my 21" almost paying for the 36" and I could also not have to buy a trailer (48 won't fit between the wheel wells).

·
Banned
656 Posts
longer yes but since the hp decks are all flush against the drive tires width & overhang are the only real issue when dealing with berms, tree banks, ditches etc.. Neither unit is prone to scalping but I would give a slight edge to the 36".

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Do yourself a BIG favor and buy the 48. Get it in hydro ir that's in your budget. You'll still have the old 33 for the 4 or 5 properties where the 48 won't fit through the gate. Trust me, you will freak when you see how productive the 48 makes you. You will NEVER have buyer's remorse. I mow little mini laws (done in 8-12 min.) in a heartbeat & also have a couple of 1 acre properties.

If your schedule is already packed it will open up room for some more accounts, guaranteed. I put my 48 into all sorts of tight areas with no trouble whatsoever. It's great on hills, too.

And NO, the 48 does not scalp or tend to scalp. Scalping happens when the operator makes a mistake, not the mower.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by Gr grass n Hi tides
And NO, the 48 does not scalp or tend to scalp. Scalping happens when the operator makes a mistake, not the mower.
So Ultimate Lawn is making assumptions again................................. No It can't be true. Tell me it's not.

Whatever you do, demo the mower and ignore Ultimate Lawns posts. Most are made up to suit the situation. He will post baloney propagada just to be different.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Yeah, do the exact opposite.

Search posts from casey, Jack D., Slim Shady, Johnny Walker, Toby, Zack, Hobart, Calvin Connely which is his real name, If you will take notice to all of them say he's been banned.

Especially read the casey ones, not because of the mower down the flight of stairs, but because he is mr lowballer.

·
Banned
656 Posts
Since Lawngodfeather has no Real World mowing eXperience I suggest he Check with eXmark who will Verify that in Theory the 48" will tend to Scalp more. As I stated Neither mower is Prone to sCalping but the edge for non-sCalping, however slight, goes to the 36".

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Originally posted by TROTTMAN
Hmm, I forgot to mention, if I got a 36" mower, I could sell my 33" and my 21" almost paying for the 36" and I could also not have to buy a trailer (48 won't fit between the wheel wells).
Could you park the 48 sideways on your trailer & make it fit? Also, having too much trailer is like having too much money - it doesn't happen. If you get a larger trailer you will find use for it & actually save money in the long run by buying fewer trailers.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I don't have a trailer right now. If I get one I will get a 5xsomething. It would fit in my truck through the gate, but the deck would have to sit on the wheel wells. I just wanna get a trailer so I can unhook and go race around (I have a pretty fast truck - get tired of poking around with stuff in the back).

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've got a 6.5 x 12 & already wish I had a 16ft. double axle. I actually considered a 5x something but I'm very glad I didn't go that route. I can get my 48, a 21, all the hand helds I need & a little over 2 yards of mulch on my 6.5 x 12. Plus, I can cram a lot of debris on that thing after doing clean-ups because it's got high mesh sides. If it's in your budget, get the bigger trailer. It won't cost you all that much more now compared to buying several trailers as you grow.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by ULTIMATE SCHMUCK
Since Lawngodfeather has no Real World mowing eXperience I suggest he Check with eXmark who will Verify that in Theory the 48" will tend to Scalp more. As I stated Neither mower is Prone to sCalping but the edge for non-sCalping, however slight, goes to the 36".
I am sorry I don't know what I am doing........

I guess I had better get rid of the 12 commercial lawn mowers I have(push mowers not included)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
How many 36" gated properties do you have, plan on having?
Personally, a 36" would seem to be the way to go if even 1/4 of your properties were gated. Otherwise, how do you plan on getting through the gates?
A Scag with a 36" deck will fit through a 36" gate, with the discharge chute tied back all the way, or taken off if you're mostly mulching.

Why would you sell your 21" regardless of what mower you get? What do you have for a trim mower?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.