1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

36 wb belt drive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastcat, Jul 11, 2008.

1. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

i am thinking about getting a 36 wb belt drive to mow on hills with and small yards. how do they handle the hills and how hard is it to turn on a hill. what would be some good ones to look at.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Scag 32" that I mow holding ponds with very steep sides and it works just fine. The belt drive on Scag seems pretty darn solid.

3. farmboy1285

farmboy1285 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2 belt drive encores and highly recomend them. But if I had to choose another brand id say a exmark with the ECS controls, or maybe a T-bar.

4. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I used to have a 36" Scag and it was a great mower but the pistol grips will wear you out and the "assisted reverse" sucks. Hydro is the way to go but I couldn't see spending that kind of cash and still can't. You would think they could reduce the prices with less sales but they haven't!:confused:

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

my 48'' Belt WB does fine on hills

6. fastcat

Can you put a sulkie on them

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, you can pull a sulky. I've been using belt drives for years on end and as long as the belts are properly adjusted you shouldn't have a problem even in the wet.

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used Lesco and Toro. They'll climb any hill, will run sideways along any hill, and can pull a sulky and my 170# butt on 98% of all my work.

9. fastcat

i am 200# so maybe i should walk behind it for a couple of months first.

10. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My Toro 36 wb has been great. 6 seasons with it. Takes hills well, works well on small properties...put a sulky on it and take on a larger property.