• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

36" zero turn or walkbehind 36"?

shrekwhatley

LawnSite Member
Hey Guys this site is awesome. I am in the planning stage of my business and looking to get the best equipment without getting more than I really need. I am considering the new z-cat 36 from Scag as well as a Gravely 36. These are both zero turn riders. I also am considering quick 36 or ex mark walk-behind. I have used only homeowner equip. in the past but this time I plan on getting equip. that will last. I am currently driving trucks in Iraq so I can make some good money to get my business started out without debt in equip. Please give some advise on the best option for me. Oh yeah this is a part-time business with about 10-15 clients.

Trinity Lawn Care LLC

LawnSite Senior Member
Part time with 10-15 accounts. Really depends on the size of the accounts. Even still I would reccommend a good wb. I am partial to Exmark. Heck, I know that I am full time, but we have 60+ accounts and most of them are done with wb's. Keep safe and good luck.

SouthernYankee

LawnSite Senior Member
Welcome to the site,

There isnt a Gravely 36"ztr, rather its a 34" which will be very usefull if you have 36" gates , as most 36" mowers will not fit through 36" gates.

If gates arent an issue, I would look at maybe a 44"ztr or a 48" ztr.I have the gravely and I love it, perfect for what I do and its priced a lot less than the scag and probally less than the new exmark phazer.If you want to know more about the 34z Grav, do a search or ask me, glad to help.

Signature Landscaping1

LawnSite Bronze Member
Id rather get a 36'' w/b than ztr because your spending a lot less money/ it doesnt make sense spending 5-6 grand on a 34''. or 36'' ztr, when u can buy a w/b for 1500 new. Then when you start growing get a bigger ztr, like 48 or 52 Just my opinon.
Welcome

uspw

LawnSite Member
Signature Landscaping1 said:
Id rather get a 36'' w/b than ztr because your spending a lot less money/ it doesnt make sense spending 5-6 grand on a 34''. or 36'' ztr, when u can buy a w/b for 1500 new.
Totally agree. Of course we wanted a brand new Stander when we started, but it is not cost effective spending. If you plan on keeping only 10-15 accounts for a while, then a wb is a fine choice. Besides we all know we can use the excercise every once in a while:p . Just my .02.

SouthernYankee

LawnSite Senior Member
uspw said:
Totally agree. Of course we wanted a brand new Stander when we started, but it is not cost effective spending. If you plan on keeping only 10-15 accounts for a while, then a wb is a fine choice. Besides we all know we can use the excercise every once in a while:p . Just my .02.
You guys are forgetting something very important that doesnt happen in Ma( I grew up on the Cape) it gets very very hot down in the south, I lived in Alabama for 4 years while at college and the last thing I would want to do is follow a behind a wb all day. I couldnt imagine using a wb down here in Texas, its just too hot in the summer

I can do a yard in half the time of a wb with my 34"ztr, plus it gets into tight areas. In ma, I ran a wb, but once I came down south and now Texas, I would want to ride or have a stander.

TURF DOCTOR

LawnSite Silver Member
matching equipment with jobs if gates are issue then go with a 36 or a 42 a 48 inch and 52inch ztr or wb you can use these on all your properties if you stay in ths biz.

jtkplc

LawnSite Silver Member
i would get a exmark or gravely hydro 36 walkbehind and a proslide. i would spend the extra money for hydro not only for the added productivity, but for planning for the future. if you plan on getting larger and adding more customers then i think go hydro, if not then a belt driven one might be better because it's much cheaper. for just a few accounts, a hydro might be overkill and unjustifiable.