.38 Barricade vs .43 Barricade

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 26, 2018.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Does a .43 "load" last longer than a .38 "load" ???
    Foxtail & crabgrass are more common here than normal. Coldest April on record >> then 2nd hottest May on record. 4 months (possibly more) of temps in the 80's and 90's...…….very unusual for central Iowa.
    Is .43 "longer-lasting"?
    Thanks in advance

dishman89 likes this.
  2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

it just depends on the rate you are putting it down at. You should know the answer to this Q larry

3. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

i would say the larger number would give you better control if applied at the same rate but they should both fade at the same time.

americanlawn likes this.
  4. americanlawn

from midwest

each the same at 4 lbs/K 19-0-6. 0.38 or 0.43 Barricade.

5. americanlawn

from midwest

This is what salesmen "say", but.....

6. americanlawn

from midwest

I don't think anybody here knows. And I don't trust "salesmen". I want scientific proof. Anybody? Prill size too? Anybody?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

My opinion is that you need to apply about .65 pound per acre as a minimum(active ingredient). It will decompose gradually. The higher the level when you start--the longer an effective dose will remain in the soil.

There are slight variations due to soil temperature, sandy soil, and heavy rain.

americanlawn likes this.
  8. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if this has been answered here, so I'll put in my 2 cents.

Of course, the product rate matters. Since you said both products were spread at 4#/M, the 0.38 load product gave you 0.66# ai/A and the 0.43 product gave you 0.75# ai/A. On the Barricade label, it says that the 0.66# ai rate should give you about 5 months of crabgrass control, while the 0.75# rate should give you about 6 months control. Of course, this can be affected by a bunch of factors. But, the bottom line is that the higher rate usually (not always, but usually) lasts longer than a lower rate (when it comes to PREs).

If you're getting breakthrough, I might look for similarities in the areas where weeds are breaking through (turf density, soil condition, trees, shade, etc). Maybe it's a good time to think about split or sequential apps for next year. If you put all of your PRE out there and tough weather hits, all of your PRE has a chance to be affected. But, if you split the app, only half of your PRE app can be affected.

Marine03112 and hort101 like this.
  9. Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry I put .43 down this year. I am getting breakthrough now. I did spray a few yards with liquid prodiamine. They lasted longer and had better control on the edges. So next season going to run mostly liquid prodiamine. I did also sprayed it at .25 a thousand.

10. T1UP

T1UP LawnSite Member

I personally would put down two apps at 0.75# a.i. 4-6 weeks apart. That would give you approximately 6-7 months control. So, let's do the math.

0.75#a.i. divided by 0.38 a.i. = 1.97# product/1000sq.ft.
    0.75#a.i. divided by 0.43 a.i. = 1.74# product/1000sq.ft.