Lawn Care Forum banner

3pt vs skid steer Harley rake

19K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Snyder's Lawn Inc 
#1 ·
So, my whole life/career I have run the Harley rake on the front of my skid steer. Well, this weekend I borrowed a friend of mines 3 point harley rake to run behind my JD 3203. HOLY COW!! I have been missing out all these years! Am I the only one that feels this way? I would guess that 19 out of every 20 harley rakes I see are skid steer mounted. I thought the 3 pt worked faster and left a smoother finished product than the skid steer mount. I'd love to know what everybody else thinks about the subject.

#4 ·
The 3 pt hitch Harley is very easy to use. You just set the height, drop it, and go. You need much more skill to use it on a skid steer. As far as to which is better, if you have large open areas, the 3 pt. If you have odd shaped or smaller lots the skid steer.

Over all I would take the skid steer. It's more versatile.

#5 ·
Interesting that you say skid steer for curves and slopes. I find it to be the opposite. I like the skid steer for wide open areas and the 3pt for everything else. I brought my skid steer rake home to do my yard and just could not get it the way I thought it should be. So I borrowed a 3pt rake and was shocked at how easy it was to use. Also liked that the dust was behind me. I have used that same 3pt rake on a couple of job sites this week and still feel that it is a superior tool. Another minor thing that I like is the fact that my tractor weighs significantly less than my skid steer so it is easier to tow to far away job sites.

#8 ·
I never could see the point of a Harley rake But I guess that's all you have use what you got
I know I'll never own one to install lawns a tiller on a tractor does a better job
I use a 7ft Turf Shaper behind a tractor it leaves a smooth grade with a deep seed bed What is the depth a Harley rake leave maybe a 1'' (ones I seen being used) They was designed to bust clods

Tractor vs Skid steer I can see the tractor will be faster that's for sure

#9 ·
I never could see the point of a Harley rake But I guess that's all you have use what you got
I know I'll never own one to install lawns a tiller on a tractor does a better job
I use a 7ft Turf Shaper behind a tractor it leaves a smooth grade with a deep seed bed What is the depth a Harley rake leave maybe a 1'' (ones I seen being used) They was designed to bust clods

Tractor vs Skid steer I can see the tractor will be faster that's for sure
Harley rake being compared to a tiller??? 2 very different pieces of equipment. You obviously have never worked with one.

#11 ·
Harley rake being compared to a tiller??? 2 very different pieces of equipment. You obviously have never worked with one.
O I tried one a Dealer demo it long time ago. Think when they first came out and they still look the same

I know its different, But Im looking at the final product a tiller will do a better job. I don't use my tiller for a final I use my Turf Shaper. It like a tiller but it stirs the soil and levels at the same time and final product is a smooth lawn.

Guys around here try to seed behind it. All they have is a lumpy lawn and a uneven lawn .
They are a cheap to buy that is why they are so popular.
If that's all you ever had you wouldnt know difference.
If I never seen the Turf Shaper work I say I would be a owner of a Harley Rake but I would have the one with the seed box on the back

My Turf Shaper was 12k in 1981.

#12 ·
I agree with you, Landscaper. I think that a tiller is entirely to deep. I'm sure that it prepares a great seed bed but entirely to soft to keep smooth after a mower rides across it, or a ride on spreader for that fact.
I use a tiller to open ground up to grade it before the final step
Its easier and fast to grade 6'' of loose soil vs 1'' maybe 2''of soil that a Harley Rake tilled up.

When I seed I seed behind the Turf Shaper so there no need be riding a spreader across it. I'll cross it with a hand spreader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.