1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

4 Business Stolen Equipment North NJ out of Parking yard.

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by LandWorksNJ, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Fanatic

A another bud of mine had the same thing happen in Carlstadt NJ This past year. His yard had no electric, lights or cameras.

I told him to invest in a simple battery alarm that screechs up a storm and can't be stopped easily (as it's hidden among the equipment). They won't want to hang around or take off with a trailer that's yelling out "notice me".

2. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

would like to catch them and take them behind the barn and educate them on some things. Had a buddy here where he was doing one of his apartments. They stole his pickup trailer and all equitment except what he was running. They found all of it later that evening hiddin behind a church parking lot. He is in Colorado they discovered they already had a sale setup in California. He was lucky. Had another buddy where a wife and husband pulled up in a van and wife drove him up to trailer and he was grabbing backpacks my buddy seen him went running over there. The guy was attempting to get in vehicle and my buddy ran up and slammed the door and slammed his head in door. They managed to get away. I always try to make sure we have an eye on pickup and trailer and when I know we don't I pull keys. But that is never a guarantee they wont get your gas or walk away items. Thank goodness I have been very lucky and only had a couple gas cans stolen. Its just sad people steal from good honest people working there butts off to make a living.

3. La Chandler

La Chandler LawnSite Senior Member

Some years ago we had a guy's new push mower stolen by some kids. Kids took the mower to the Toro dealer and tried to sell the mower to the dealer. Dealer called cops.

4. Love the Green Biz

If they would put the same effort into working hard like honest landscaping folks the world would be a better place. You are right-it's just a sad situation.

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed

6. Love the Green Biz

I don't think it goes further than PA, NY or CT. Someone has to outfit those $20 a cut folks!

This is a bad situation as we all depend on our equipment to make our living and there is no excuse for this type of behavior. These thieves have no conscience.

7. StihlDude777

StihlDude777 LawnSite Member

They could also be parting out the equipment and selling the parts on ebay or craigs list.

8. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Could be but that would require work. Most want quick cash.

9. Aelzscaper

Aelzscaper LawnSite Member

I had some equipment stolen last summer and found it at the local pawn shop.Got it back that day and the guy that stole it is now charged for receiving stolen property.I i.d. all my repairs and modifications without touching them.

10. Overwatch

Overwatch LawnSite Member

I caught some clowns rippin' me off this morning. Noticed a vehicle stopped in the middle of the road next to my truck about 400 feet away. I moved the mower over to investigate, a guy ran around and jumped into the passenger seat of their late model vehicle. As they pulled out onto the main road I noticed the license plate had white tape over it, looked and saw my blower was gone. Tried to chase 'em down, I was only about 30-45 seconds behind 'em, but I got screwed by traffic. Probably best that I never caught 'em, I'd probably be arrested for felonious assault.

Still, it didnt ruin my day. It will take me about 8 hours of work to replace the blower, but the thieves will be scum for the rest of their lives. Hope they sold the blower for 50 bux and died of an OD.

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.