• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

4 Day work weeks?

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
Just wondering what your opinions would be on this? I'm considering a 4 day work week this summer (Mon-Thur 7:00 - 5:00).

Pro's:

Saves time on driving, loading and unloading

Gives my guys a 3 day weekend

Gives me Fridays for paperwork, estimates, etc. etc.

Could work Fridays instead of weekends after rain out days...

Con's:

Employees may be unproductive for last couple hours of each day if worked too hard.

Days are long and doesn't leave time for much else

Has anyone tried this with success or failure? I think I'm going to give it a shot this year but if anyone has some insight I'd like to hear it. Thanks- Sam

OP
S

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
I'll assume you're talking commercial properties on those 5am days... It seems like a good idea though. I'm just wondering if it would be as benificial to my landscape crew which includes me. It seems like everyone starts doggin after lunch and the last couple hours of the day are pretty slow. I wonder if knowing there's still 5 hours left in the day would bring on a second wind or if productivity would be down the whole second half of the day... I still like the idea of the 3 day weekends especially on those weekends I have drill. A friday off would be nice instead of doing the 12 days straight one weekend a month... I don't even want to think about that again. Thanks for the replies everyone - Sam

CkLandscapingOrlando

LawnSite Senior Member
Your retention for emply will be solid but production will suffer. Maybe on landscape it would be great because alot of jobs could be finished with a few more hours. On maint they dont get much more done in those hours than they would with 8hr. Well resi I think you could. I worked for a large comp that did this. No one would quit cause of the hours. But a job that should take 8hr is now taking 10

OP
S

S&S Outdoor Services

LawnSite Member
Good points, I'm looking forward to trying out these 3 day weekends this summer. I'll try to keep a post on how that works out for me. I think even if the ten hour days suck... going to the bar on Thursday night should take the pain away.

THC

LawnSite Silver Member
4-10's are great but up here it's time and a half after 8 hours. Work ten get paid for 11.