4 man mowing crew per man hour rate?

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
I got a call last year to quote a fancy apartment complex. I walked around the community and I didn't really see any problem areas. She mentioned lack of communication, but the property did look well maintained. The manager was very nice and she actually told me her current rate. It was $1800 a month. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I'm like omg, How are they making any profit??? I told her no point in writing this one up as my quote would be triple that amount.
Yeah after running my numbers I am afraid this may be the same thing. Oh well, some lessons learned.

OP
Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Exactly. Kind of why I asked about his 2 man gross...let’s assume your 2 guys are doing that 800 in a 10 hour day. That’s 40/hour. Why would you be willing to drop that to 30? You KNOW there is work out there to generate you 40. And you most likely are losing money at 30...
This is honestly very helpful, thanks. Sometimes you just need a second set of eyes and another brain. Mine is fried right now.

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
I got a call last year to quote a fancy apartment complex. I walked around the community and I didn't really see any problem areas. She mentioned lack of communication, but the property did look well maintained. The manager was very nice and she actually told me her current rate. It was $1800 a month. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: I'm like omg, How are they making any profit??? I told her no point in writing this one up as my quote would be triple that amount.
A few years back we were asked to bid on a small condo complex. Did a walk around with a couple other contractors and the current one. The PITA president of the board was pointing stuff out that was "wrong" etc. I was talking to the current contractor and said didn't really know what the problem was. Told the PM we wouldn't be bidding.

About a year ago, the PM asked if we could do it for about the same price as that same contractor. Checked the numbers and said yes. Took it over last growing season and regretted it from day 1. Finished the winter but had already told the PM that we wouldn't be renewing because of the issues we had with the residents--that weren't supposed to talk to us--and the board members, one of which stepped in front of the mower with her dog and wouldn't let them start until she was done talking. Had the crew told me, I would have pulled them off the job and told the PM we will not return until they stopped harassing us. We did have some conversations about them being pains in the rears.

PM completely understood where we were coming from. He actually thought it might be good for them to be "fired". lol Last I heard, the original contractor is back, the PM said they bent over backwards for these people and did a lot that was not in the contract. I will do some stuff if they're good customers, but if they're idiots, I'm billing them for everything.

Last edited:

Mark Oomkes

LawnSite Fanatic
Yeah after running my numbers I am afraid this may be the same thing. Oh well, some lessons learned.
Well, if it's a full day of work, theoretically you could cut them a bit of a break because you'll be saving time by not loading and unloading as well as the lost billable time for traveling.

I didn't bring it up initially because I didn't want to confuse the issue even more.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
This is exciting to see people talk about lower man hour rates. Over the years I always assumed everyone was getting at least $50/man hour for even general weeding or picking up sticks.

grigs04

LawnSite Member
Your guys prices seem so low I can’t believe you only get $30 per man hour. That would barley cover my pay role workman’s comp,and gas. I throw all that in my bids. I get double what u guys are Getting payed. I don’t get how the owner would make anything at $30 per hour. Must be different where u guys are located. And 4 man crews are a waist if u ask me. I could understand on a big account but if they have to go do residential then one guy will be standing around with his thumb up his ass.

notoriousSTV

LawnSite Member
Hope everyone had a great week last week. A happy fathers day, and getting ready for another great week....
I posted we can bid at $30 man hour. The original post made it sound like a great account, one I've wanted for years i think were the words......4 guys for 2 days etc. I can bid that at 30 per hour.....my crew leads make around 18 average, crew members 14....
We run 13 maintenance trucks and 8 landscaoe construction trucks a day. Our costs will be different than many others....
At 30 man hour will make small off the maintenance.....but with that size account I assume alot of turf to be treated....thats our biggest margins, not bid at 30 man hour of course. Extra sales from hoa as in pinestraw or mulch and seasonal color are usually a given, high margins.....irrigation work, etc...
Plus all the advertising from doing the entrances, pool and common areas generate alot of sales, maintenance and landscape.
I can bid 30 and be slighy profitable, but we generally bid in the 35 to 40 range. It depends on the account.
Also 2 kinds of hoa.....entrances and common areas, hell yeah 30 an hour for a xrew for 2 days.....
A condo, townhouse, or 55 older single homes, be careful u can make money but they can take alot of your time. The newer built ones are the worst, they remember taking all day to cut their old lawn.....the older ones have ran through alot of companies and as long as you meet your contract requirements you are good.

To all a good week