Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 4 mix stihl trimmer since the end of last season and about two days ago it started acting up. it runs fine anywhere above idle but if you try to let it idle it dyes after about 10 seconds. I don't think the idle rpm's are to low because it runs fine for about 10 seconds. I would take it to my dealer but he has the worst service :angry: :realmad: i have bought all my handhelds equipment from him and spent which is a couple weedeaters hedge trimmer a couple edgers and a couple blowers in the last 9 months and still if i take it to him its i will get it when i can which means lucky if thats two weeks. :realmad: but any advice on this problem would be great maybe i can fix it myself :)

·
Banned
21,630 Posts
for one thing you might check / replace the air filter and maybe put another spark plug in it...
also here's what I do with trimmers and the real reason is so I don't forget to turn it OFF when I set it down but it is to turn up the idle fast enough to where the head always spins at least a little bit. been running my trimmer like that forever.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would make a phone call to Stihl or go to the contact page online and send a complaint to them...I have the same problems here with the redmax dealer...the Stihl dealer here is wonderful, which is why I bought Stihl, and have the 4-mix...people need to understand that no matter what engine, there will be possible problems...some run for a long time with no probs, and others don't--4-mix or not...being solo for now, I can pamper my machines more than the person that has crews tons of equipment and lack to time to maintain them...I am still new to all this but am learning a great deal from this site and through real world experience...

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
There was a post on Ls last week or so, It was about trimmers acting up some due to the heat and mainly the humidity, The cure was to adjust the mix screws a lil bit. I dont know which one to turn, maybe some one can help or know which thread that was?????

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When all else fails, call Stihl and complain to a regional sales director. This usually gets a dealer to stand up and pay attention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first thing to check would be to make sure the valve cover gasket is not leaking. The fuel mixture runs across the rocker area and into the crankcase then back up to the carb. If it had a very minor leak it could cause the idle problems you describe. If that looks ok you can try to richen the low speed screw a bit. You may have to remove the limit cap to richen it anymore however. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jeff,

We just purchased a 4-mix stihl with all the attachments and it's been doing the exact thing that you were describing. It has done it for the entire time we've had...We thought something was wrong with it, just ours alone. But you say you're having the same troubles...

If you find the problem can you please post what solved it! Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a stihl fs130 today. It didn't feel right from the beginning. I am going to check it out for a few days but might end up taking it back. I bought it as a demo. It took 10 or so cranks at least the first time. It started working a little better but shouldn't it only be taking 3-4 cranks?

·
Registered
423 Posts
it was late when I read it and I just put up a post that did nothing to help besides calling Stihl if there are continuing problems that go unresolved...mine did that from the day I bought it--put, put, put, quit at idle...I took it in and they adjusted two screws...I think one was the idle screw and the other was the screw that adjusts the fuel mixture...it was running too lean...it works fine now but will probably need some more fine tuning to get it where it needs to be...I do think that one has to mess with the 4-mix a litle to get it tuned properly...take it in and have them adjust it and see if that helps...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have 4 or 5 of them, the dealer has replaced the coils on every one so far. jm2c

·
Registered
155 Posts
dcplace2004 said:
mine did that from the day I bought it--put, put, put, quit at idle...I took it in and they adjusted two screws...I think one was the idle screw and the other was the screw that adjusts the fuel mixture...it was running too lean...it works fine now but will probably need some more fine tuning to get it where it needs to be...I do think that one has to mess with the 4-mix a litle to get it tuned properly...
This sounds like the fix to our problems, I'm gonna have to read up on it more before I play with it as I'm not really great with these things.

It's strange that the dealers or Stihl wouldn't tune it up before they sold it as a quality control step. Or maybe they did, and you have to adjust for your own mix? Because I know our mixes are not exact every time, but they're damn close.

·
Registered
693 Posts
mine was doing the same thing about 2 days after I bought it. It got to where it would not even start....I took it to my dealer and the carb was full of junk, evidentally from the factory since I run the same gas out of the same can in all my other 2 cycle and nothing else had a problem.
They cleaned the carb and it has been perfect ever since. Also, if it is very old and you are running stihl oil, check the screen in the muffler. My FS80 started running bad the other day and I pulled out the screen and it fixed it immediately.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
Idle problems are usually a simple fix.

From reading your post, it appears to me that your problem is probably the fact that your crappy dealer sold and delivered you a new machine that was not properly service out and set to go.

Just so we get started off on the right foot here, let me just say that itty-bitty carbs SUCK. Now, with that said, the carbs are not something that Stihl makes, and I'm figuring that they still use the ZAMA carbs on the 4-mix machines as well....

If so, this carb has 3 capped adjustment screws. Two of them are together and on the carb they will have H or L beside them. High speed screw and Low speed screw. Leave these be in the begining. Move on to the other screw which is the idle speed screw. Most of them are just mechanical and engage the throttle arm. tighten the screw down a little and see if that doesn't fix you right up. I adjust mine up as fast as I can without making the clutch engage and spin the head.

If this trivial adjustment does not address your problem you may need to look uop to the H and L screws. Most Stihl products have the proper setting molded into the plastic shroud nearby. If not they should be in your manual. For example, my FS 85 should have the L screw backed out 1 full turn counter clockwise and the H screw backed out 3/4 a turn counter clockwise to it's capped limits.

So make sure yours are set properly. If you still do not have a fix, you can try backing the L screw out a very small amount more.... or you can just call Stihl and ask them. They are great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.