4 or 5 day work week

TTM42

LawnSite Member
I was wondering if any of you guys have any input on if there is any savings on gas or workers if you work 4 10 hrs shifts or 5 8 hr shifts? I have been mulling this around and was just wondering if any of you guys had any experience or any input on this. Thanks in advance.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i don't see how it would be any different. the gas spent working 2hrs extra each day would equal the same amount of gas used in working another 8hr day. the pay for the workers would be the same either way. 40hrs

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
Not sure you will save money. There is potential for savings in fuel One less trip to the shop. One less day of load and unloading equipment.

The employees might like the notion of a three day weekend. It would also buy you some time in case of a rain day. Meaning it would be easier to make up.

Lugnut

LawnSite Senior Member
The biggest advantage is time saved on loading/unloading, daily set up or cleanup of a jobsite, as well as drive time to and from the first and last jobs, time it takes to get everyone's asses moving in the morning and after lunch, etc

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
You could definately save a little money. As long as you have your routes scheduled and layed out properly, you will travel, overall, a less amount with a 4 day work week. But the biggest thing is keeping the routes tight and efficient, otherwise you probably wouldn't see any savings.

It could benefit you to use Friday as a catch-up day if you get rained out at all during the week, that would still give your employees a full weekend.

One thing you will have to remember is that a 10 hour work day is quite a bit different than an 8 hour work day. Yes, I know, only 2 hours longer but that 2 hours makes a difference. I work 12 hour shifts (not mowing) and even on the non-busy days, I am quite tired at the end of the shift. What I'm trying to get at here, is that your employees' efficiency will most likely decrease during the last two hours of their day. They're tired, its been a long day, they just want to be done and get home, they're hungry, etc., so there are going to be quite a few factors affecting their performance in the field. So I would expect to see them working a little slower those last 2 hours.

Personally, I think the benefits of working a 4 day work week over outweigh the negatives.

weeze

LawnSite Fanatic
i worked for another lawn company when i was in college. we worked five 8hr days. i was the new guy so i never got to mow hardly except when i used a scag walkbehind with a sulky on it. most of the day i was the one doing most of the trimming. after 8 hrs i was spent. it wore me out every day. if i had to work 10hrs i probably would've quit. just saying. :laugh: i'd say if you are gonna go to 10hr days make sure you rotate the guys around so they all get a chance to sit on a mower now and then. standing all day for 10hrs trimming and blowing or even standing on a stander or walkbehind really gets to you even if you are young.

BeachysLawn

LawnSite Senior Member
. . . if i had to work 10hrs i probably would've quit. just saying. :laugh: i'd say if you are gonna go to 10hr days make sure you rotate the guys around so they all get a chance to sit on a mower now and then. standing all day for 10hrs trimming and blowing or even standing on a stander or walkbehind really gets to you even if you are young.
Lol, I worked full time as a laborer on a masonry crew by the time I was 17. That was back before everyone had forklifts and equipment to make the job easy. If you think its tough trimming or standing on a mower for 10 hrs try carrying brick up several sets of scaffolding, heaving bag after bag of mortar on top of the mixer and shoveling sand all day. That's real work.

If a guy can't handle a 10 hr day he isn't worth keeping. :dizzy:

Kelly's Landscaping

LawnSite Platinum Member
This idea is something I have given a lot of thought on and when we finally get out of this recession and we can add a 3rd crew we plan on doing this. We cut lawns about 160 man hours a week with a 4 man company. But The overtime hits us hard we don't work pussy 8 hour days nor 5 day weeks. It's 9 am till 6-8:30 pm 6 days a week sometimes 7 days. So all the so called profitable work so many speak of and dream of here is almost always done when the guys are over 40 hours. Even if its done on a Monday its still overtime since there is still a 40 hour cut week ahead no matter what.

Something a lot of people suggest is to offer more services I can not tell you how many columns in our trade mags say this is the way to increase sales and you have to do it. What we have found in our 9 years is the less we offer the more work we can fit in. We make real good money cutting lawns over 60% of our annual sales are lawn cuts and during the lawn season that numbers around 80%. That is our bread and butter and we know that but the mulch jobs seeding jobs trimming and the fert accounts still expect it. There is no getting out of that work but we do not chase it either.

So our plan would be to eventually drop the fert its only about 25k in work a year. Then have 3 two man cutting crews we would have 2 of them work 4 days a week mowing Tuesday through Friday with the weekends for make ups and over flow issues. But basically have the guys at about 4 11 hour days a week. The third crew would be me and an employee working 3 cutting days and leaving Monday and Tuesday to fit in the extras. My lead employee can do all the mower maintenance on Monday by himself. So hes happy he gets to keep his ot. My partner could then have an entire Monday every week for office and estimate work. And our 3 lower employees can take turns working with me on the extras and bringing them in as needed i.e. trimming bushes is a 2 man job but mulch we may want them all.

There is no getting out of all overtime but just these steps can save a ton of money each year. As for income with that set up were talking 11 cutting days a week between the crews each bring in close to 900 a day add in another 1500 a week on ave from me and were talking 11400 a week income. And that doesn't require me chasing jobs its steady and its consistent.

LindblomRJ

LawnSite Silver Member
i worked for another lawn company when i was in college. we worked five 8hr days. i was the new guy so i never got to mow hardly except when i used a scag walkbehind with a sulky on it. most of the day i was the one doing most of the trimming. after 8 hrs i was spent. it wore me out every day. if i had to work 10hrs i probably would've quit. just saying. :laugh: i'd say if you are gonna go to 10hr days make sure you rotate the guys around so they all get a chance to sit on a mower now and then. standing all day for 10hrs trimming and blowing or even standing on a stander or walkbehind really gets to you even if you are young.
Why didn't they switch out from site to site?