40 Acres Wide Open Mowing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Acres, Mar 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I have an account that wants me to bid 40 acres of wide open mowing. Basically it is around a large manufacturing plant. I know everyone says there are a lot of variables that go into pricing mowing. But this is just a field wide open. No trees, fences, landscape beds to mow around. No trimming or edging. I would like to base my bid off of one 72" mower. How long in your opinions would this take to mow? Also ball park what is a fair price? Again I know it depends on my market my overhead etc. Just give me an idea. Thanks in advance.

2. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Mark Oomkes, hort101 and weeze like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Green Acres

That's awesome. I'd buy it if they gave me a 100 year contract to pay for it. There is a 10' finish mower for sale on Craigslist. Thought bout hooking it up behind tractor

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Figure 3.5-4.5 acres per hour depending on terrain, so a solid day of mowing. Ballpark for price...... around $800 per service.

Jeff@diyokc and Doc8406 like this.
  5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Exmark used to have a chart showing approximate acres per hour on their website.

Be aware the ground may be very rough limiting speed and maybe wet areas at times

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Says my 661R SHOULD be cutting 5.5 acres per hour :eek:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong now :help::laugh:

tobylou8 and hort101 like this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

those calculations aren't even close to real world mowing. i had a 4 acre yard once and it took 3hrs to mow. about 30mins trimming and blowing so it took 2.5hrs to mow it with a 61" mower. maybe a 72" could do 4 acres in 2hrs...maybe 5acres in 2.5hrs. you are looking at about 20hrs to mow it all with one 72" mower.

of course a lot of factors. is the grass easy to cut or thick? is the ground level and smooth or rough with slopes?

if it's super easy to cut and super smooth you could do it a little faster. i would plan a good 3 days to get it done to be safe.

you'd be better off with some sort of tractor like in the video posted :laugh:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Green Acres

I never know what to put in for the speed at which your mowing at. Ive never have checked to see how fast I mow at.

10. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah.. i have a .8 acre yard to mow.. took me 1.5 hours.. sloped and i have to use two mowers..

weeze likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.