1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the March 26 article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

4000PSI/4GPM — how to choose?

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Hotty Toddy, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

I’ve been looking at PWs online. Price variance seems to be several hundred dollars. How does one decide? What other specs do I need to be considering?

Also, are there advantages/disadvantages to buying from a big box store like HD or Lowes, Amazon, other online stores? What about extended warranty plans?

Thanks for your advice.

Darrell

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Psi is mostly a marketing gimmick. GPM is what gets the work done.

3. Markusinky

Markusinky LawnSite Member

It depends on what you want to do with it. I personally have a 4gpm and 4000 psi commercial unit. Honda 390 and cat pump. I can clean a two story house standing. Also use a 20" commercial surface cleaner with it for drive ways and walks. Works good, no customer issues at all. Very strong unit

hal and Cam15 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

For now I want to do hard surfaces — sidewalks, driveways, porches, mailboxes. I might do house washes eventually, but not for now.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Silver Member

Do you ever find that the gpm at a homeowners hose bib is not aqueduct to keep up with the gpm required for the pump?

Crazy 4 grass and Cam15 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

I'm looking at the Simpson ALH4240 -- 4 GPM, HondaGX390, CAT pump.

Amazon has it for $1200 and offers a $50/2 year service plan.
    Power Equipment Direct has it bundled with a Simpson 20" surface cleaner and 50' extra hose for $1489.

I don't have a pallet jack. Getting it off the truck could be a challenge. I don't know what delivery drivers do and don't do with an item this big.

What are your thoughts on the two packages mentioned above? Are there other vendors you would recommend?

HT

Cam15 likes this.
  7. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

Too much, you can get a simpson type at HD called dewalt, or northern or lowes for less. Just because it has simpson on it doesn't mean it is that good or any better than the others. I got the 4/4 at northern, got the 18 inch surface cleaner at the same place as you (PED), both work flawlessly.

8. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

How important is having a CAT pump? The HD Dewalt 4 GPM with CAT pump is right at $1230

9. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

Cats are good pumps, but let me ask you how much will you use this? Northerns is 899, that's the one I have.

10. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Good question. I plan to only do hard surfaces for now -- driveways and the like. In the summer I mow for a property management company, and they sometimes needs some power washing of their pre-rental properties. But, I do not have a list of customers lined up. I guess that begs the question of whether or not I need a 4 GPM or whether I could go down a notch and save some money.