42" Riding mower

OP
K

kodiak2314

LawnSite Member
If you want a simplicity I think you wiil be getting less quality than with a Husqvarna.. Briggs does make some good motors but I didn't see any in the Simplicity line up. If you have good Simplictiy dealer service and want to save money I'd do it. Husqvarna has some Kawi motored stuff or pay for the John Deere. Honda still making garden tractors?
All the simplicity mowers have Briggs motors from what I see, and look like they are built better from what I see.

OP
K

kodiak2314

LawnSite Member
Head gasket blew only after a year for one then I fuel pump solenoid went out. Now the transmission is acting up the transmission is made out of plastic. And I don't think it weighs but probably 400 pound probably can't find a zero turn that weighs under 600. I just fight the wet conditions in the winter time but I plant winter rye so it needs cut once a week.

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Sounds like you'd like a zero but are afraid of weight? How about a stander, they're usually much lighter than a sit down and you'd benefit from increased productivity
There's not much difference in weight between a stander and ZTR these days unless you compare a diesel ZTR to an air cooled stander...

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Head gasket blew only after a year for one then I fuel pump solenoid went out. Now the transmission is acting up the transmission is made out of plastic. And I don't think it weighs but probably 400 pound probably can't find a zero turn that weighs under 600. I just fight the wet conditions in the winter time but I plant winter rye so it needs cut once a week.

Maybe try Cub Cadet? I can't vouch for them, but it is something different, and a garden tractor. If you get the JD with the metal transaxle, they do have some units with Kawasaki and Kohler engines. Stay away from Kohler Courage however.

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
If I were to buy another gas mower the only one I trust is the Kawasaki

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
From what I'm seeing there is a significant weight difference, 300-500 pounds, comparing gas models

Toro 5000 is about 1150 pounds, and their stander about 900 IIRC. I looked up a bunch if that stuff a few years ago and found standers to be closer to ZTR weight than I thought. The Ferris Z3 is just as heavy as alot of comparable ZTR's. That thing is in the 1200 lb range IIRC, and just as long as some.

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Toro 5000 is about 1150 pounds, and their stander about 900 IIRC. I looked up a bunch if that stuff a few years ago and found standers to be closer to ZTR weight than I thought. The Ferris Z3 is just as heavy as alot of comparable ZTR's. That thing is in the 1200 lb range IIRC, and just as long as some.
Depends on which models you are comparing. My JD 900's are in the 1300 lb range. A Ferris Z1 is in the 700's, a Toro Grandstand around 900.

Sooooo.........depends, but overall stand on is lighter

ARN Greencare

LawnSite Senior Member
Depends on which models you are comparing. My JD 900's are in the 1300 lb range. A Ferris Z1 is in the 700's, a Toro Grandstand around 900.

Sooooo.........depends, but overall stand on is lighter
A Ferris z1 is their small frame stander, a John Deere 900 is their large frame ZTR. A Ferris Z3 is about 1250 lbs, pretty much same as your Deere 900. In fact heavier than some 900's

Bottom line is comparable models are usually fairly close in weight.

Top Forums