1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

42 vs 44

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by mkirby, May 4, 2006.

1. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Can you please tell me the advantage and disadvantage between these 2 units?
    Will 3 blades on the 44 inch produce a better cut and mulch the high, thick grass easier?
    Thanks Mike

2. bsaage

bsaage LawnSite Member

I would also like to know the difference between the two models (42" and 44") mini z's. There is also a huge difference in price. Why the big difference? There is no information on the web-site to compare the two models. I cant' decide between the 52" FT/20hp Honda or the 42" mini z/19hp Kaw. I can get either for about $4,800-$4,900. The mini z is a little faster and might make up for the smaller deck size with the increase speed. Any comments please.

3. bsaage

bsaage LawnSite Member

Also, why is there such a huge cost difference between the 42" and 44" mini z?

4. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

I didn't think it was a tricky question. I will reprhase.
    The 44 mini z has 3 smaller blades where as the 42 has 2 bigger blades are there pros and cons?
    Thanks Mike

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Mini 36/42 units are a different design.
    They use integrated ZT series axles from Hydro Gear, where the Mini Z 44/52 use pumps and wheel motors.
    The ZT series utilizes the pump components out of the BDP-10 pump from Hydro Gear, also has a spin on filter and hardened gear set, these ZT series Hydros are commercial.
    Some of the machine differences are...
    Narrower frame
    2 bladed decks (36 and 42)
    Different deck design
    Sits lower
    Tire sizes
    Engine choices

The Mini 36 / 42 is a unit designed for smaller properties and gates areas, it is less expensive but still carries the same 2 year commercial warranty and lifetime warranties all our units have (frame, leading edge of the deck)

Now....
    If you are doing a lot of hills, or larger properties I would look at the Mini Z 44 / 52 and Super Mini Z.
    They have higher hp engines, larger tires, wider frames heavier duty hydros and of course the Super Mini Z is a 13 mph unit.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Different designs, different drive components.

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

No, not really....
    Only pro would be one less blade and spindle..
    They both cut great.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Attached Files: