1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

48” or 52” stander mower which to buy??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by brianj80, Mar 27, 2018.

1. brianj80

brianj80 LawnSite Member

Hello hoping u guys can help me out with which size mower to buy? I want to get a 48 or 52 just wondering what everyone uses more? I mow all residential some larger some smaller. Please help me out

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Platinum Member

Bradley has a 48 and a 52 stand on not sure why? Pretty much the same size. I prefer 36" but my focus is on smaller properties. 52" seems to be the one everyone is buying and raving about

brianj80 likes this.
  3. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 48" and 52" mowers, neither will fit in a 48" gate. So I use the 52 everywhere I can and something 44" or smaller on most gated yards. The 48 does not get much use, other than weedy crap yards. Unless the deal was great, I see no reason to purchase a 48" again.

brianj80 likes this.
  4. Cajunjosh

Cajunjosh LawnSite Member

I’m running a 54 and a 36 Stander right now and hindsight being 20/20 for my 5-8k sq/ft yards I would have gone 48 and 36. I find on a lot of my yards there is just enough terrain to cause me to have to adjust patterns to keep the 54 from scalping. Your mileage will probably vary but I also don’t have any huge properties to mow.

oabdu123 and brianj80 like this.
  5. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

if you're running a 36" already for gates, it makes sense to get a 52 because of blade size. The 52 is a touch bigger then the 48 but the 52 and 36 are compadable with blades.

brianj80 likes this.
  6. Graverunner68

Graverunner68 LawnSite Member

The speed is what matters, I cut older cemeterys and my 52 will not fit into certain rows of stones. A 48 fits in all the rows and is faster than my walk behind. I remember some where on here that a 52 is only a minute or two faster on open acreage than the same frame 48

sehitchman likes this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I've found that on medium sized lawns a smaller mower is faster. For instance, a 52" is easier to maneuver, less trimming, etc than a 60" even though the 60" fits just fine on that lawn.

And with Grandstands, the 52" stripes better than the 60's. Actually with Lazers as well.

I can't always convince my crews of that, so I am "weeding" out the larger mowers. I'll always have a couple 60's but I replaced my 60 Lazer with a 54" ZTrak.

Mow-Daddy.com likes this.
  8. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

I've got 2-52s and 2-48s. I'm looking at a 72 also for this season. Have a few parks and ball fields we do. And bidding 2 more right now. We'll see.

K c m likes this.
  9. oabdu123

oabdu123 LawnSite Member

So I was actually wondering the same thing.
    Any advice would be much appreciated .
    I'm looking at the Bradley 48 and 52 stander. Most of my yards run from 5k to 15k lots. The 48 is also $1000 cheaper as of right now. Being that I have smaller lots and the 48 stander is 1k cheaper, would that be a better bet?
    Also, say like I pick up a 1 acre property would the time difference even be much, maybe a couple more min?

10. Tootall91

Tootall91 LawnSite Member

I run a 52” zk with no issues. However it seems a lot of guys run 48’s here. Maybe because of all the hills and varrying terrain the 48” scalps less.