1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

48” or 52” stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shindaiwa_operator, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Shindaiwa_operator

Shindaiwa_operator LawnSite Member

Looking to get a couple standers. Wanting either 48” or 52/54”. We have dealers for Gravely, Toro, John Deere, and Hustler. So quite limited in that area. What are your opinions and personal experience? Worth buying from farther out without dealer help? Thanks

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Exmark 48" stander a year ago, the guy I bought from no longer sells Exmark and now I have to drive over an hour an half to the next dealer-find something with local dealer support. I priced out the Gravely, Toro and Deere. I think the Toro might have the best all around cut with the Deere in a close second. The Gravely was almost $2000 cheaper than the others and lots of guys around here run their Gravely's pretty hard. Dont know any thing about the wright's other than they are a good machine.

E-town, Crazy 4 grass and Cam15 like this.
  3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Silver Member

The deere is going to be a wright unit with green paint and probably will be the best out of all of those options.

KUMA01, Brucey, Cam15 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Birk lawn

Birk lawn LawnSite Member

If you’re doing lots of subdivision lawns, a 48 will save time overall if getting in gates is an issue. When we went from 52 to 48 we cut down how often we pull the 36 by about two thirds. They also fit between more trees, landscaping and such that you would have had to weedeat larger areas if using a 52. I don’t think there is much time savings on large lawns with a 52 over a 48

5. Birk lawn

Birk lawn LawnSite Member

We’ve had three grandstands and they are alright. Our next mower will be a Wright. The new grandstand 48 can’t seem to keep the front wheels on the ground and we have an 18 so it doesn’t have the deck lockdown and it slams up and down constantly and ruins the cut quality.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Shindaiwa_operator

Shindaiwa_operator LawnSite Member

Wright builds Deere’s standers?

Mark Oomkes, Mownmachine144 and Cam15 like this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Yes.

8. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Senior Member

That is correct!

Shindaiwa_operator and Cam15 like this.
  9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Fanatic

Toro or John Deere would be what I would go for.

Mownmachine144 and Jeff@diyokc like this.
  10. Brucey

Brucey LawnSite Senior Member

There's a few differences. Most significantly the controls, the JD QuikTraks have a single pair of sticks like a ZTR, with hand rests/loops fore and aft. The Wright's have four sticks, to reverse you need to use the other set.

Currently JD has $400 off the 600 series QuikTraks, in addition to zero percent financing for 36 or 48 months. I have a 636m stander and it's a great addition to the trailer, would love a 52 or 61.

Screenshot_20200625-195431.png